A little activity

ladobeOctober 30, 2011

It's down to high to mid 70's now but with still warm enough nights for my shirt/shorts thing, no wind and beautiful blue sky sunshine. Like being in Hawaii without the trade winds and short daily rain showers this time of year. So with the change in weather and a short rain sprinkle a few days ago I have been seeing a little activity around here. Have had several very fresh Vanessa carye (anabella) and one Vanessa cardui visit my Lantana along with a couple of Hesperiidae and a lonesome Brephidium exilis. While no more Apis mellifera have been seen, quite a few sphecid wasps (two species) have been hunting my Leucophyllum langmaniae that are quite entertaining. The differences in hunting techniques between the two species has been noteworthy.

Pictures of the activity has been another matter though as they have all been very unaccommodating in that department. Probably a mix of their drive to get the last of the seasons harvest, and my slow mobility. I keep my camera in my pocket and keep trying though.

Anyway, it's been nice to finally see that at least something arthropodic is alive out there with the almost total lack of activity this year.

Larry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladobe

All that came around for Halloween.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 12:08AM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

It's the right colors! Wish I could see the ventral wing so I could ID it.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 8:22AM
ladobe

Sandy,

Maybe after 47 years of mostly ignoring Hesperiidae (except for a few noteworthy exceptions) I may have to start paying attention to them. They are about the only thing that has visited here in any kind of numbers the last couple of years. Maybe I'll go to storage and dig out my dot maps so I know exactly which species are recorded from this county by next year. Might help with IDing them.

As for pictures, I get what I can. Most are not very cooperative with only plants that most lepidoptera consider borderline nectar plants. The open landscaping and lack of mobility doesn't help much either as I can't sneak up on them. Few let me get closer than 5-10', some not even that close. Have three species of sphecid wasps coming here right now... and none let me get within picture range.

L.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 2:23PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Cute skipper, Larry, whatever type it is!

There's still plenty of activity around here, gulf frits, cloudless sulphurs, sleepy oranges, little yellows, buckeyes, various skippers plus jillions of checkered skippers. I haven't seen any swallowtails, unfortunately. When I pass by the Brazilian buttons, which are still in full bloom, clouds of little checkered skippers (and others) fly off, then land back on them. Brazilian button has been my best new nectar plant.
There are still gulf frit cats on the remains of the passionvines, plus some GF chrysalides in my cage with the buckeye chrysalides.
I've been working outside today, the weather is beautiful, but very dry.
Sherry

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Disney's "Wings of Life"
If you want to be truly astonished by the beauty and...
saxonmjs
Aristolochia Elegans Seeds for SASE
I have harvested a ton of seed pods (at least 45 pods!)...
mechelle_m
2014 Recap w/ Photos
Every winter I like to go through my yardlist and photos...
molanic
Did anyone watch the Monarch Butterfly segment on CBS Sunday Morning?
This was interesting and inspirational! The speaker...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Coral Honeysuckle
I remember reading that Coral Honeysuckle is a good...
jane__ny
Sponsored Products
Chihuahua Personalized Throw Pillow - PIL-MBJ-QFIL
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Habitat Inland Trellis Linen 2' x 3'
$69.97 | Home Depot
Wood Creations Toy and Blanket Chest with Cedar Base - WBC - BLNKT CHEST - CB
$299.99 | Hayneedle
Crystorama Abbie Mini Chandelier - 18W in. Dark Rust - 5404-DR
$219.98 | Hayneedle
Bird Bistro Outdoor Folding Chair
Grandin Road