What do you grow with Iris?

jenn(SoCal 9/19)August 22, 2012

I planted some tall bearded Iris in raised boxes in the spring as a temporary holding place until I plant them in the garden this fall. We have amended clay soil and a variety of beds (sunny, morning sun, afternoon sun).

What plants do you mix with your bearded Iris?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltnhen

In my previous home I had a large front corner area. It had trees and some barberry in it. In the front of the rock bed I planted spring bulbs and behind those iris. Out to the sides my husband added grasses, so we had a good seasonal flow.
Can't seem to post both pix at once, so I'll post the other in a moment.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 12:40AM
quiltnhen

another view of the group

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 12:47AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Heh heh. You asked for it, Jenn!
Roses, bulb lilies, pelargoniums, agaves, ranuculus, Diamond Dust Euphorbia, lamb's ear, aloes, echeverias, oxalis, sea holly, columbines, agapanthus, dianthus, brugmansia, nasturtiums, paludosum daisies, catmint, geraniums, alstroemeria, cosmos, red flax, larkspur, elegant clarkia, poppies, amaranth, Japanese blood grass, acorus, bunny tails, and shrubs- all kinds of shrubs- including Little John Callistemon, coleonema, dwarf common myrtle, arborvitae, bridal wreath spirea, dwarf euonymus, oh- and golden sage, thyme, golden oregano, and rosemary. My mom plants limonium, sea thrift, purple oxalis, feverfew, watsonia, and dahlias as well.

I also grow coneflowers, daylilies, clematis, cannas, callas, and foxgloves with mine, but these plants require an extra drink of water with the hose twice a week and will be the first to go in the next drought.

Renee

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 1:15AM
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

I have both evergreen and deciduous bearded iris. They grow almost anywhere but really won't flower well without good sun exposure. One patch of deciduous iris comes up every year through a mat of evergreen iberis.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 1:28AM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Thank you! Quiltnhen: What beautiful, vivid colors! And I love the stone wall. Renee: Haha, I knew you'd have a few suggestions. :-)

The reason I ask: I've read they should be grown in a sunny area with plants that don't require a lot of water. So, it seems that our clay soil + thirsty plants would be the death of Iris.

How do you divide your Iris without disturbing the roots of nearby plants?

And, in clay soil, should I build a mound on top of the soil and plant in that?

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 12:15PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I put them on a bit of a mound. I haven't had trouble disturbing the roots of other plants when I divide. Iris roots are shallow. I water twice a week, and they do okay.
Renee

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 1:02AM
More Discussions
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
Mystery plants!
Can anyone identify these plants? The seeds I was...
barbiejpete
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™