Suggest a good lawn seed for San Francisco

bug_girl(17)August 11, 2007

I have to replant most of my lawn this winter. I am looking into grass seeds. I have gotten some better result with some types, but I can't remember which ones. Is Golden Gate the only sane choice? I can't find it on line, I am not sure they even make it. The worse was the blue grass very pretty and soft, and fine, and it just died. Now, it's so dead, that I have a major problem with Thatch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Over the last 40 years I have sown several new lawns. Early on I used the Golden Gate Park mix. I believe it was from Ferry Morse Seeds. Later I used Scott's "Play", both were blue grass mixes with several other grass species. Cool season mixes well suited to our area. Their worst fault is the amount of water needed to keep them looking their best. My last lawn I layed down Fescue sod about four years ago and the difference has been impressive. My lawns are all watered by automatic timers in the dawn of the day and I have been able to cut the water used by more than half. The problem of weeds also has been greatly reduced. The cost was more but to start but the savings will go on for years. Al

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 9:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

The only grass strain that I've seen look really good with minimal maintenance in your area is a turf-type tall fescue, such as 'Medallion' or 'Marathon'.

Al makes a good point about laying sod; it does beat out the weeds from the get go.

If you do choose to go with seed (both types above are available as seed as well as sod), do your best to get a handle on weeds before sowing the grass seed.

If you have a compacted soil, till your site to break it up. Rake it smooth, removing all sticks and stones and unbreakable clods.

Then water it well every day, twice a day for 2-4 weeks. This will bring up weed seeds and old grass stolons/rhizomes.

Hoe off all the weeds with a sharp hoe.

If you had an impressive crop of weeds, repeat the process.

Don't till the area again. Simply seed your grass seed.

Or sod the area.

Joe

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™