Carnivorous plants for classroom?

edufrin(8)July 23, 2010

Hello! I am starting my first year of teaching as a fourth grade math/science teacher. I'm looking for an interesting plant display to place in my classroom for students to observe. I'm pretty good at gardening but I'm venturing out of my comfort zone and looking for advice on carnivorous plants to be placed in glass container (thinking of buying a large apothecary jar).

I would like to keep the display small with only 2 or three varieties of plants. I've read that most carnivorous plants don't like a lot of humidity and succumb to root rot so I plan on keeping the plants in a pot and simply placing the pot inside the apothecary jar, with or without the lid, where the plants can be safe from curious fingers. I would also set up a grow lamp to be on the plants during school hours.

Does this plan sound like a good idea for keeping carnivorous plants?? I would love to hear suggestions on how to improve my set up. Also, what plants would do well in together in an environment like this?

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

You could probably get a Nepenthes or 2, a tropical Sundew like d. Adelae or d. Capensis and a mexican butterwort like p. Moranensis. Although I'm not a fan of CPs in terrariums, bright, indirect Sun (or florescent lights a foot over head) is all they need light wise and the Nepenthes can not sit in a water tray but the other can. Rain or distilled water ONLY. No tap water or bottled water.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 3:48PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Capensis doesn't do well enclosed unless you have a fan to keep the air moving IME. RO water will work if your system is in order and removing the salt if you have a softener. I get my water from a carwash where I generally keep the RO in order and check the PPM before filling my jugs.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 11:49PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

D. adelae for sure. Some of the Utricularia I think might do well - U. sandersonii, U. livida...

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 8:49AM
edufrin(8)

Thank you all for your advice, I will look all those CPs up! Any good sites that you would recommend buying them from? The only CPs that I can find in the stores are VFTs.

Also, if I simply get a tall glass vase with straight sides, would that be enough air flow for most CPs? I never intended to enclose them as I fully understand this is a no-no... I just want to keep them safe from fourth graders while allowing my students to observe them. Hmmm, maybe I could even attach a small fan to the upper lip. We'll see how inventive I get!

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 9:48AM
edufrin(8)

Ok, I've done a little research this morning and discovered Sarracenia Northwest online nursery. Good start??

While there, I've been discovering all sorts of beautiful species. Here's my list of possibilities so far....
P. Moranensis
D. Prolifera (sister[?] of Adelae)
D. Scorpiodes
D. Dichotoma

I'm not 100% sure about the last two. Do you think a beginner would be able to keep those alive? I'm leaning more towards the staghorn because of its height.

Thank you all so much for your help!

-E

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 10:14AM
tommyr_gw

Sarracenia Northwest is excellent, Try to get their DVD series too someday. The Scorpiodes should do o.k., mine are a few inches under a T12 florescent light and I have some that get direct sun in mid-late afternoon.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 5:24PM
    Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
New to this. Did I kill it?
I have had a nephthenes/tropical pitcher for a few...
Deir
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™