twin-wall polycarbonate greenhouse panels

feedingthekidsJanuary 13, 2008

Hey folks,

I'm building a 11'x 24' lean-to greenhouse onto the back of my house. It'll be a wood frame structure with twin-wall polycarbonate panels on top. Two questions . . .

1. What is the best twin-wall polycarbonate panel to use? Clear? Opaque? Lexan? Lexan Plus? Polygal? 6mm? 8mm? Etc?

2. Does anyone know where I can find any of these polycarbonate panels in the upstate? I'm in Walhalla, SC and so I can also easily make it to western NC or northeastern GA for pick-up. I only need 6 4'x 12' panels and having them shipped isn't cost effective.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancedar(z7NC)

I don't know but you might want to post your question on the Greenhouse and Garden Structures Forum. Perhaps they can give you some ideas about the vagaries of this stuff.

Nancy the nancedar

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse & Structures Forum GW

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 8:54AM
tamelask(z8a NC)

somebody posted on this forum last year with a whole bunch of references that you could get the twin-wall locally. let me dig and see if i can find it. i remember because we are considering using it as well. no discussion of what kind to use, and i don't know, either, so i'll be curious what you find out.

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 12:49PM
tamelask(z8a NC)

here it is:

Here is a link that might be useful: twin-wall

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 12:51PM
Dibbit(z7b SC)

There is also www.FarmTek.com - they have twin-wall panels made by Palram, custom @$5.95 per 4' sheet and 4x8' sheets @ $41.95. Shipping seems to be $7.00 per linear ft per package up to 12' - to a maximum no. of sheets per package of 50. They also have a roll of twin-wall corrugated plastic: 8' wide; each @ $7.39 per linear ft, and a 250' roll @$6.95/linear ft. They don't say what the shipping/freight charges on that would be. You can also call them - 1-800-327-6835. While I am not sure how much they would be price-wise compared to local sources, their prices for the water filters I have bought from them seems to be competitive ($5-7 against what I priced at Lowe's a few years ago at over $15!) - they have stuff for agricultural growing and storage, so they carry everything that can come under that heading - the specialty catalogue I just got, for that only, runs to 352 pages.

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™