Dorm Plants

unc_mltFebruary 28, 2010

Hey!

I'm a student in college, and I currently live in a dorm. I recently bought a snake plant because it brought a little life and air filtration to my room. I've been researching for more plants, but I was wondering if there were any flowering plants that were capable to thrive in a dorm setting and relatively durable. Also, recommendations for plants that are good at air filtration would be great too.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rootdiggernc(Z-7A NC)

My fav low light plant is a peace lily. It's very easy to care for and mine blooms indoors. Also look for different types of snake plants (sansevieria) there are so many varieties. Not just color/variegation, but while most of us are use to the ones that grow very straight and tall there are short wide ones and some that drape, etc... Heart-leaf philodendron is another super easy plant, can even be grown in water. Doesn't bloom, but you could grow it in a really pretty (or odd) container, even change the containers to fit the seasons/occasion. Do you have a windowsill? My son grew an aloe plant on his and it did fine, just keep water to a minimum. Angel-wing begonias can add lots of color and some blooming if you have a little light. You can always add a lot of variety with variegation, textures and colors, both with the plant or containers. Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: low light bloomers

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 11:30AM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Nice thing about snake plants is they are quite vertical and take up very little space in a dorm room where storage space is at a premium, especially when you have a roommate.
Plus, you can go home for vacations and the snakeplant will never even notice you're gone.

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 1:30PM
unc_mlt

Thanks! I'm really considering a peace lily, especially since I heard it's pretty great at removing air pollutants.

I'm considering African violets, and as with all plants, how careful would I need to take care of it for it to flower?

Are there any chances of getting pests/insects if I get too many plants?

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 1:15AM
plantsonthepoint

There is a danger of getting pests with only one plant, (or even a banana that fell behind the desk,) the key is to keep the plant stress free and well and it will not be as susceptible to infestation. I once monthly visual inspection for pests should be more than sufficient.

As a college student who has been container/ indoor gardening for many years I can personally recommend the following plants:

Rubber tree; Ficus elastica
Ficus benjamina; Ficus tree
Jade pant; Crassula ovata
Hindu rope plant; Hoya varieties
Christmas cactus; Schlumbergera buckleyi

Even a novice can grow orchids, if they follow a few common sense guidelines. I have had great success with the Moth Orchid, Phalenopsis. Catalya's too are easy to keep alive, but require more light to bloom than do the Phalenopsis.

Good luck.
---Keith

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 7:13PM
aezarien(7b)

My African violets are in a self-watering violet pot but otherwise they are some of the most neglected plants I own and they bloom year round. They are in a window that gets a little bit of morning sun and I MIGHT add some liquid miracle grow to the water once a year. My Chinese evergreen and Holiday (Christmas/Easter) cactus do great in the house too. I think the African violets are really the only thing I keep in the house after the last frost though.. then it all goes outside until we are expecting the last frost again.

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 1:55AM
More Discussions
Is it difficult to grow dahlias in NC? Which are easier?
There are lists of most likely to succeed? But what...
thisbetty
Greenville South Carolina Plant Swap
Greenville Glen will be hosting a Spring Plant Swap...
tbug
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
I'm back after a long hiatus, and wow!
Hi everyone, I haven't been on GardenWeb for a while,...
minuet_7a
Heirloom Seeds
Greetings! I've been away for a while. Puzzled by...
columbiasc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™