Do your monarch cats eat pumpkin???

fighting8r(10 Fort Myers Florida)October 28, 2009

Very interesting, and I plan to try this when I carve my pumpkin today or tomorrow.

Monarch Caterpillars Eat Pumpkin? from Shady Oak

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fighting8r(10 Fort Myers Florida)

Wouldn't you know it, I don't seem to have any late-instar monarchs right now. Oh well maybe I can find one somewhere. Wonder if queens like pumpkin?

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 2:47PM
ams2009

That is very intereseting, thanks for sharing!! I wish GST's would eat pumpkin and cucumber, lol.

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 2:51PM
fighting8r(10 Fort Myers Florida)

Don't I wish. Maybe we should offer! Offer whatever is around, see if we come up with a breakthrough discovery! Heck maybe they like cheerios, got a ton of those here!!

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 3:17PM
ams2009

Yes!! It would have been such a blessing if they would have eaten cucumber and pumpkin about 3 weeks ago when I was scrounging around trying to find safe host plant leaves, lol. I love the 12 last instars I have, they aren't the least bit picky, i think they would eat cucumber or pumpkin if i gave it to them, haha. It is funny how they seem to go from being sooo picky about which leaves they will eat, to eating any leaves you give them, overnight. Or that is how mine are anyway. I cannot wait to get these six younger instars to that stage!!!!

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 6:42PM
lindacatherine

Hmmm, I don't think they will eat pumpkin b/c they need the "milk" in the milkweed to make them taste awful to birds. My friend thought she was giving her monarch cat milkweed, but it wasn't milkweed and the poor little cat died of starvation.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 7:30AM
jmcat(5)

Just be careful what you wish for --- it might just happen. ;)
-Jmcat

Bookmark   November 10, 2009 at 10:36PM
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

I happened to stumble on to some more related info today.

People have had success using other types of squash. Yellow summer squash, zucchini and calabaza are mentioned. Some recommend cutting the squash into squares, putting holes through the squares and then hanging the squares on defoliated stems. Some people say to feed squash/pumpkin to only 5th instar cats (said if you start earlier, cats won't pupate). Runny frass is one problem that was mentioned (tougher to keep container clean).

Something to keep in mind if you run out of milkweed.

KC

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™