anyone have plants at edge of ponds?

chrisware(5-6 wv)July 16, 2012

Hey gang,

I'm great with plants and used to have a carn garden in my classroom for years, but has anyone grown them at the edge of a garden pond?

I have a large koi pond, which is pumped into another small pond and stream area (not plastic forms). It sets in half shade with dappled sun. The edges of the upper pond and stream are all thick natural mosses and smaller plants like strait needle rush, dwarf cattails, and marsh marigold around the edges to name a few. The planting shelf at the upper pong has a lip about a foot wide and varies from a couple inches to about six at the most.

So my question,,, will this support something like a pitcher or would the nutrients be too much? I'm about a 5b zone in WV. We're actually slightly milder than a glades areas which grows a wealth of carn plants, but I'm not interestred in wild collecting (plus its protected)

Any ideas or suggestions? I love the plants around my pond and have some nice show pieces too like petasites, ligularia, and even a hardy banana. I have probably close to twenty or so types of actual pond plants, but I would love to have a carn in the bunch.

Thanks,

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

I've done it on the edge of an old enamelled cast iron bath tub. The tub is a pond for some water plants including Utricularia gibba. Where the over flow is I put some sand with some U. fulva, U. involucra and (I think) U. arnhemica seeds. It's only a small ledge but the plants are coming through and are looking good.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
Advice on Venus Fly Trap care
Hello everyone, I just recently I bought a venus fly...
fuzzywolf
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
My huge pitcher from propagation (N. ventrata)
Hi I'm new in this forum and I want to show you my...
NepenthesGrower
Nelenthes 5 basal shoots on 1 plant!
My newish nepenthes, not sure what kind since it was...
mora2817
Sponsored Products
AICO Furniture - Villa Valencia Sideboard - 72007-55
Great Furniture Deal
Cypress Adirondack Footrest
Fifthroom.com
Solitaire Platinum Signature Crystal Goblet - 818219
$24.95 | Hayneedle
Rose, Teal and Gold One Light La Colina Lamp
$502.20 | Bellacor
Silkroad Exclusive Pomona 72-inch Double Sink Bathroom Vanity
Overstock.com