What to do with the inlaws?

deirdre_2007(7)February 20, 2008

My friend's inlaws are in town, and yikes her husband got called away on a business trip. She is in dire need of some diversionary trips for her inlaws.

They are both in thier mid-70's and love birds and nature gardens, but they do not like to walk or anything that's too much of an excursion.

Any ideas or suggestions??

She's in Clayton and figures they'll drive anywhere within a 2 -3 hour radius. Thank you in advance for your help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamelask(z8a NC)

there's a thread in the conversations forum about people's favorites spots in the area- sounds like a good list to me to start with!

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 8:49AM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

The NC Botanical Garden and Niche Gardens in Chapel Hill.

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 9:25AM
trianglejohn

I always end up taking people to the beach. But then, most of my visitors don't live near an ocean. This time of year it is usually warmer out there, crowds aren't out of control yet, most cafe's and diners are open on weekends. I would head down 70 to Beaufort and take one of the sightseeing boats out (minimal walking, lots of birds & nature).

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 10:39AM
deirdre_2007(7)

Thank you everyone!! I sent her the link to JCRA and they're going there tomorrow. She'll run the Beaufort idea by them too, that and a few local children's musueums and hopefully her husband will be home by then.

I'm glad that I saw the conversation thread too, because I have a few ideas for some weekend getaways now myself!!

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 3:37PM
zigzag

Maybe too late for the OP, but my simple tastes have led me to take visitors (especially those less ambulatory) to Pullen Park in Raleigh (adjacent to NCSU) and the Fairgrounds where there's always something going on weekends. I've found Pullen to be very user friendly and diversified - hope it hasn't changed, it's been a few years since I've been there.

Also, Lake Johnson in West Raleigh now has some great resources and lovely walking trails - short or long, your choice.

It's a bit early, but I recall that Pullen & Lake Johnson were wonderful places to watch spring in the Carolinas happen.

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Rain barrels and soaker hoses
Here I am a aqain and gonna pester y'all one more time....
jimtnc
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™