Powdery Mildew

jimtnc(7b Raleigh tttf)February 25, 2008

Is anyone else getting this in their grass? I've never had it before and most of the write-ups I've seen say to create more sun and air circulation, but that ain't gonna happen this time of year in my yard.

I need to apply something on the grass pronto to keep from losing all my work this past fall and previous years because the grass is dying and this stuff is spreading. Any thoughts on how to control it before I lose all my fall seeding? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zigzag

Never this early in the season and never on grass, but I've had good results on powdery mildew and other unidentified fungus-types using Serenade Garden Disease Control. You might want to check it out at www.serenadegarden.com. Good luck!

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 6:20PM
jimtnc(7b Raleigh tttf)

Yep, it's showing up all over the area now. I talked with NCSU turf pathology people and they said the conditions were perfect for PM, but probably more with bluegrass than anything else. Some of them had it in their yards too.

If you can't find a "granular" fungicide you might have problems.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 6:59AM
nandina(8b)

PM is not one of my growing problems. However, suggest that now is the time to trial the method that has been so widely acclaimed here on GW. Fill your hose end sprayer with any type of liquid milk product. The claim is that it doesn't matter if it is 2% fat, whole milk or cream. Set sprayer dial on 3 tablespoons per gallon and saturate the lawn. There have been so many testimonials to this organic approach that it is worth a try. Report back.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 8:24AM
jimtnc(7b Raleigh tttf)

nandina - yeah, I've seen that mentioned before, and can't remember if I had tried it or not. That also might be worth the effort, since milk is still cheaper than fungicides (but probably not for long) and more readily available right now. Thanks.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 9:01AM
zigzag

I tried the milk method on some plants, a small effort w/a hand spray bottle, with so-so results.

Unfortunately, using a hose end sprayer these days might get you a $1k fine - very pricey fix. Now, a hand pump sprayer you could probably get away with, but what a pain if your area is very large.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™