Warty baby flytraps

colopatironJuly 24, 2008

I couldn't find any other postings about this. Maybe someone has seen this: I started out with three flytraps five or so years ago that bud and split like crazy - I've probably had a total of 300 so far (I sell most of them). Anyway, I just had to move to a place where the sun is not as great as it used to be, but so far it's adequate. About twenty of the tiniest baby plants I split off are acting strange. The littlest plants usually don't survive as well as the bigger-bulbed babies that bud off so I was prepared to see them shrivel up. But it's been five months now and they still haven't died or grown leaves. If you peak under the sphagnum you see a little crown of warty-looking knots. I keep waiting for the poor things to die, but they just keep making little warty-looking things. I'm thinking that maybe after all those years of non-sexual reproduction maybe the genes are wearing out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mutant_hybrid(8)

No, Venus Flytrap genes do not wear out from doing what they were supposed to do. All Venus Flytraps reproduce in several ways. They produce seeds from flowering once a year and (sexual reproduction) they produce clones of themselves from rhizome divisions below the soil (asexual reproduction). What you are seeing is probably due to less light and from being split off from the parent too early. The adult plant and the young can all suffer from weakening if they are divided too often and too early. Wait about every other year until young plants are at least half grown before removing them from the parent for best results.

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
VFT after some ice and snow
I just wanted to upload this pic of my VFT and pitcher...
purslanegarden
Who has Sarracenia oreophylla?
I have a great clone of S. oreophylla and want to produce...
fredsbog
Pitcher Plant for a Beginner...
I'm new to carnivorous plants and was interested in...
iheartroscoe
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™