Oxalis

Bowdoin(6 Penna.)February 3, 2008

Who knows what about oxalis? I just found out what it is and think it is a cute plant. Have seen it used as a border, and love the look of it. Transplanted it yesterday along the edge of my flower bed. Seems like a hardy little plant. Can it be used as an indoor plant? Is it poisonous around animals? I live in Anderson, SC, a "transplant" from Greenville, and a "transplant" from PA before that. Thanks for your input.

Emma from SC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tammy Kennedy

which kind of oxalis are you talking about? describe leaf color and shape, size and flower color for us, and we can be more helpful. some are indoor plants that can summer outside, some are pretty but can get weedy and others are downright weeds. yet others are nice, behaved plants for the garden.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 10:31AM
carrie630(z7bNC)

i love oxalis woods sorrel - the mound is pretty much evergreen in the winter and it makes the cutest little flowers - pink and white is what I have. I have no idea how to separate them but I am going to dig them up this spring and see whether they have formed little bulbets.

There are many kinds of oxalis and from what I understand a lot of people grow them inside.

Carrie

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 2:45PM
Bowdoin(6 Penna.)

Can't tell you a whole lot, since I haven't lived at this place for a full yearb yet. They're in neat little mounds, dug them up from my woodsey back yard, and assume they'll have the little pink flowers like the zillions I had in Greenville, SC. Just plain old green leaves, rounded, not square edges, and they have the bunches of bulbs and bulblets underneath. Next door neighbor has them as a border and she got hers the same way. I'm hoping to have the well-behaved variety!
Emma in SC

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 10:06AM
Tammy Kennedy

well, if your neighbor has some already, she can probably tell you how well behaved it is. having the yellow kind here, i know it grows just fine in pots when it hitchhikes in, so my guess is the pink stuff would be fine as a houseplant. since they originated outside, you already know they are fine out there.

i don't think oxalis is poisonous- we used to eat it as kids (called it sourgrass). it does have oxalic acid, which if you have kidney problems can be an issue, but other than that it should be fine. i've not heard of it being a problem for animals, but you should be able to do a quick web search and find out for sure for the specific kind of animal you're concerned about.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 12:49PM
Bowdoin(6 Penna.)

Thanks for all of your responses...being in a different climate from Penn. has proven to me that you never stop learning, and when it comes to plants, sometimes you gotta fight 'em, sometimes you can't help but love 'em!
Emma in SC

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
Looking for some medium tomato ideas
I am not really interested in growing the biggest tomato....
minuet_7a
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
Decidious Magnolias Toast Sunday Morning?
Most decidious mags are blooming their beautiful pink...
jqpublic
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Sponsored Products
D and W Silks Oxalis Ivy in Square Bamboo Planter - 104006
$31.99 | Hayneedle
D and W Silks Oxalis Ivy in Metal Ledge Planter - 104012
$32.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™