Late find

caterwallinOctober 19, 2012

I don't recall ever finding Black Swallowtail cats this late before, but I found 2 late instar and 6 small ones (only a few days old) on the rue 2 days ago. I'm assuming that they were out there when we had temps one night in the twenties, so they must be pretty resilient. Even though our temps are supposed to be in the sixties and low seventies for the next 10 days with night temps in the forties and low fifties, I brought the cats inside anyway. I hadn't even expected to find cats this late and wasn't thinking about looking for any, but I saw a big cat crawling on the ground beside the rue (I assume that it was hunting a place to pupate), so then my son and I checked the rue and found another big one and 6 small ones. I hope that we found all that were out there. Despite our having temps in the twenties recently, the rue looks fine, so I'm just going to bring it in as I need it because I think it would take a bunch of pretty hard freezes to do it in, so I'm sure I'll have a supply to feed the BST cats. If you haven't checked your plants lately, go check them and you might find some cats too.

Cathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

'Will do, Cathy!

I can't recall finding black swallowtail cats this late either, but congrats on yours!

Sherry

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 5:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caterwallin

Thanks, Sherry, and good luck to you on finding some cats.
Cathy

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™