How to root Hardy Ice Plant?

Irma_StPete(z9 FL)June 11, 2007

Hello!

I have snuck over here to your forum from "Florida Gardening" for pointers on rooting an 8-inch length of Delosperma cooperi I was just gifted with.

This may surprise you: this type succulent does not seem be to in the nurserys here on the west coast of Florida. Seems most of the succulents marketed here are meant for little shallow-dish rock gardens. I don't see it growing in landscapes.

How to get it to root? Divide/cut it? (where?) Soak it? Let it harden? Plunk it down as-is in appropriate soil?

Thanks so much for your help...

Irma in St. Petersburg, FL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Possibly the reason you don't see it so much is that there are more showy Iceplants available for your climate. D. cooperi is one of the hardiest but not necessarily one of the prettiest.

Delospermas root easily, you can even root them in water. I would just stick your stem in your normal planter soil and water it occasionally until you see new growth. Keep it warm but out of strong sun, it should start putting out new growth in a few weeks.

Once you have it rooted it will grow very quickly given sun, heat, and plenty of water. Make sure it doesn't get waterlogged in winter, it won't grow in winter and can be kept fairly dry but it will also tolerate regular rain.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Succulent Growing Roots From Stem
Not sure what I should do with my plant! It has been...
chelseaw
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Hobbit, skinny fingers or Gollum
Okay just brought this off eBay it was labeled as a...
Hamza Nobes
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™