Bog Garden Questions (Picture Included)

moonwolf_gwJuly 14, 2010

Hi everyone,

I had my lavender planted in this metal non-draining planter and now I'm thinking of making a CP bog garden with it. The plants I'm thinking of putting in it are Sarracenias and Dionaea. Could I leave it outdoors for the winter? I would love to hear your ideas! This will be my first time bog gardening, but not CP growing.

Here's the planter (you can see why I took out the lavender)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cody_mi(z5 MI)

i am definitely not an expert, but i would say it would be better if you could put it in and unheated garage or maybe build a cold frame out of straw bales and mulch it with white pine needles. i would also say you should make a few holes in the side of container, about four inches up. to allow excess water to drain out. cp's don't like to be soaking wet. you could also dig a hole in the ground and sink it in there. i'm sure others will have more ideas or advice.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 9:17AM
moonwolf_gw

Thanks, Cody!

This container is very heavy and is quite a pain to move while occupied! Without soil, it is light as a feather. I don't want it up against the house as that's how the lavender got waterlogged (rain plus the dripping from the roof).

When I grew CPs before, I just grew them on pebble trays and brought them in before the frost (only did it for 2-3 years because they died later in the second-third year).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 11:01AM
cody_mi(z5 MI)

i would say they died because they need dormancy, but of course there could be a different reason. you could always pop the plants out of the bucket and into the vegetable crisper.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 2:55PM
tommyr_gw

I'm in the same zone. It gets too cold here for most Sarrs and VFTs. Maybe put the container on a wheeled dolly and roll it into a safe area like an unheated garage? Purple pitcher plants would do o.k. in that since they are from this region.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 8:38PM
moonwolf_gw

Cody, no I gave all my plants winter dormancy when I grew them. We had a windstorm one year that took my little greenhouse apart and blew away my VFT. The other plants didn't grow right after being blown out of their pots.

Tommy, thanks for the suggestion! One of the plants I grew before was a purple pitcher (from Lowe's).

I could put it in the shed (unheated) if I had to. There isn't much space in there since that's more for storage space for the winter.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
New to this. Did I kill it?
I have had a nephthenes/tropical pitcher for a few...
Deir
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
Help with N. alata
Hi, We have recently added the wonderful pitcher plant...
Nagem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™