flytrap, how am I doing?

zachary95July 7, 2014

I just bought a vft plant saturday and it is currently monday. I bought a vft from lowes and it looked good but no red just all green, I have it set up in a betta bowl with water in tge bottom and the pot in that like the tray method with a 40w 5000k daylight fluorescent bulb. The plant has 6 heads and 3 of them have turned red inside within the 2 days and look healthy still.
Used:
Bug biting vft- $5
Betta bowl-$9
Lamp-$6
Bulb-$7
Distilled water-$1
Total-$28

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zachary95

Another pic

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 6:43PM
zachary95

And another

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 6:44PM
tommyr_gw

Get it out of that clear container. Also, how will you give it dormancy come fall? NO tap water. Distilled or rainwater ONLY.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 11:29AM
zachary95

Ok sounds good. Dormancy ill set it in a fridge with a ziplock bag around it like other people have done on here and other forums. I only use distilled water on it because of the tds of it versus tap. Any tips or tricks will be appreciated. Since ill be in college this fall I wont have access to a garage for dormancy so either the fridge method or by a cold window depending on the dorms location. The window should be a cold enough place in a northern iowa winter where its -20ð outside most of the winter with wind.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 6:06PM
izzyizza(Zone 5/6)

How bad is it if you don't use distilled water? I've been using tap water for two weeks now, but my plant looks ok

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 8:44PM
tommyr_gw

You are going to kill the plant using tap water. Why do people never listen? NO TAP WATER. Distilled or rainwater or RO water ONLY. Or, kill your plant.

Never mind, do what you want. I'm done banging my head against the wall with some of you people....

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
Can dead sphagnum turn into live sphagnum?
I'm noticing some green patches in my LFS. Is it live...
outsiders71
Nelenthes 5 basal shoots on 1 plant!
My newish nepenthes, not sure what kind since it was...
mora2817
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™