What's eating my butterfly eggs and cats???

saldutOctober 2, 2012

I see the eggs and then the next day they are gone...also the cats disappear overnite...as a result I have few butterflys. I haven't seen or found the culprit and wonder if anyone can guide me... here in central Fla. we are overrun with bugs of all kinds, someone suggested 'paper wasps', another suggestion was 'assasin bugs', here on the Fla. Forum, but I have not seen any in my no-spray garden... maybe someone can suggest something?? Thanks, sally

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

The possibilities are endless as to what's getting them. In my area, predatory stink bugs are usually common and eat many caterpillars given the opportunity. It could be that they're dying for what reason I don't know - do mosquito spray trucks frequent your streets?

There are also some critters that reportedly take butterfly eggs, although fortunately for me, they don't occur here.

A good solution is to take the eggs on the leaves they're on, put the stems of these leaves in water picks or left over containers with water in them and holes punched in the tops and raise them in cages yourself. The FAQ section should have links to information on how to raise them.

Sherry

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™