Astilbe suggestions?

e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)February 28, 2009

I just bought a bag of bare root Astilbe from Cosco. They looked so nice in the picture I couldn't resist. I've got a few shady spots under talls trees or on the east side of the house I thought I'd try them in - but first wanted to ask for suggestions. Anyone have words of wisdom on this plant? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steveh_2007

They are great plants, beautiful in bloom if you can nurse them thru the flowering season. They want to bloom in May here just about the time it gets too hot for them. If you water them heavily they may bloom well. Otherwise the flowers will start out OK and then turn brown.
Since they are heavy feeders they need lots of humus in the soil when planted. I usually fertilize before they bloom and mulch them with composted horse manure (free) after they finish.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 1:00PM
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

Thanks steveh, I'm hoping they wind up looking something like the picture on the package. It'll be a treat to have something more colorful in the shady areas.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 3:24PM
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

Yeah...definitely stay generous with the organic matter. Mine are quite sensitive to the heat. Beware that the tree roots will compete with the plant for its water resources. Around here, unless you have a dense forest in your yard the environment under trees is usually a dry shade.

Good luck! They are beautiful and should get bigger and better each year.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 4:47PM
birdannelady(7-Georgia)

I tried astilbe's in my shade yard under tall pines. Between the root competition and drought, they bloomed very poorly and died over the winter. They definitely like a lot of water, I've been told, and with the drought that we've been having, it's hard to give them enough that the trees don't suck up. Good luck. Hope you have been luck than I do. I heard Erica Glassener on Gardener's Diary, I think it is, say that Astilbe's don't like the hot south. I don't plan to try them again.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 4:18PM
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

Hmm, I'm thinking that maybe the natural area under the trees might not be wet enough based on everyone's comments. I've got to start working on "Plan B" :-) Thanks for all the help. I'll see how it goes this year. It's worth giving it a try.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 8:39PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Mine have done better in a very humusy soil that holds water, gets morning sun but is still elevated for drainage. My experience is they like moisture but don't much care for waterlogged clay.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™