It's getting late but...

tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)October 2, 2010

... they are still out there!!! I presently have 18 Monarch crysalis (sp?) which should eclose in a week and then I'm out in the gardens culling and transplanting when I spot 4 more caterpillars. It's becoming a real dilemma this year. I'm tempted to bring them in but wonder if it would be ethical of me to release in late October. In the case of two cats, the release would be more like early November when we would be getting our first good frosts.

I really hate to leave them out there. This is torture!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Well, why not bring them into a container and leave it outside in a sheltered spot? That way, they'd at least have a better chance of making it. IF they withstand the elements and successfully eclose, then it was meant to be. Right? If you bring them inside the house, they will survive to eclose, but then you may be faced with having to release them into certain death. Better to let nature decide IMVHO.~~Angie

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 8:13PM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

Angie,
Thank-You!! I just needed for someone to provide me with good logic. :O) Been battling the flu and my head has been feeling like a place where the fog has taken permanent residence so thoughts are not that clear. You make sense!! I'll set them up in their 'residence' tomorrow and we will see what happens.

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 10:08PM
runmede(7a Virginia)

Adult Monarchs can withstand temps down to freezing, but not for long periods and not if they are wet. Caterpillars and pupae cannot take hard frost. I've seen some that made it through because they were in a microclimate in the yard. Near a rock or near the house.

This is what the Monarchs normally do. They keep laying and try to get those last few through. Some times the weather holds and some times it doesn't. Those last butterflies have a very hard time of making it to the south.

I've not been bringing in any for the last two weeks. Some are making it and others are not. I actually saw a Pipevine Swallowtail chrysalis about to emerge today. This weather that we are having is crazy and it is confusing many butterfly species.

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Aristolochia fimbriata seeds for trade
I have a lot (probably 100+) of fresh seed from my...
CrazyPlantLady1
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
A romantic moment
Lots of activity in my garden. We released 7 male Monarchs...
jane__ny
Journey of the Butterly
PBS stations are repeating The Incredible Jouney of...
flowerpowerx
Disney's "Wings of Life"
If you want to be truly astonished by the beauty and...
saxonmjs
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Bed Side Lamps: Windsor 26-1/2 in. Table Lamp HD13658TLBRZC
$29.97 | Home Depot
Soraya Rug 8'3" x 11'6" - LIGHT GOLD
$1,529.00 | Horchow
Illumine Wall Mounted 1-Light Outdoor Green Angled Arm Semi-Flush Mount with
Home Depot
Humanscale | Element Disc LED Light
$359.00 | YLighting
Blue Circle Amber Comforter Set
$99.99 | zulily