Primula Japonica - in Pacifica?

dfaustclancySeptember 6, 2013

Can anyone tell me if Primula Japonica, Miller's Crimson will grow in Pacifica, CA? Pacifica is located on the coast over the hill from SFO. I grow it here in MA in a wet spot and was wondering if I could bring some seeds to a property I own there and try to start some. Here is a photo to show what it looks like alongside the pond we live on 35 miles west of Boston...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Hi Debra,

I live in Southern California, so I can't really speak for the northern part of the state, but I have never even seen any of these plants in CA.

I suggest looking at the plant choices at a few California nurseries, or buying Pat Welsh's book on Southern California gardening to see some pictures of things that work well here.

Another option is to ask what people in Northern California recommend for flowering plants. Good luck!
Renee

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 11:03PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

ps. I love those colors together.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 2:00AM
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

I only have experience with English primroses (mainly Primula x polyantha). In my zone, which has warmer winters than Pacifica, they are grown as winter-blooming annuals, although recently some of mine have survived over the summer.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 8:58AM
calistoga_al

Sure you can grow primula in Pacifica. They will bloom all winter and right into summer. Pacifica has routinely cool weather with no frost, year around. When inland heats up in the summer it draws the fog into the Pacifica area from the nearby pacific ocean. Full sun plants are difficult in Pacifica. Al

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 8:58AM
dfaustclancy

Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate it.

I also wanted Al to know I am so happy to see him here on the boards -- as you were one of the first posters I 'spoke' with many eons ago. Glad to see you are still gardening, and better yet, sharing your expertise with all of us.

I bought the seeds and I'll sow them this week!

Deb

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
California to be a tropical climate within 50 years.
I heard that on the news last night. By 2060 Soucal...
stanofh
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™