Hardy Hibiscus

dfaustclancySeptember 6, 2013

Would like to know if anybody plants hardy hibiscus from seed and when to plant in Bay Area and how long it takes to go from seed to flower? I've got a couple seeds that I'd like to plant in Pacifica, CA and was wondering how long it would take and if any others plant it or use it in their gardens... Here's a link to what it looks like. http://www.americanmeadows.com/hardy-hibiscus

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sf_rhino

This doesn't address your question, but I saw a fairly large hibiscus growing around Potrero Hill/Dogpatch here in the city. I think they are propagated fairly easily from cuttings. Maybe that is a faster route for you, unless you have a particular hybrid in mind.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 7:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

This may not be the best time of year to plant the seeds. They love heat, and late spring might be better. They don't call it "hardy" for no reason! We have one of those and it's blooming constantly. It gets very little water and is between some boulders in decomposed granite on a steep slope.

When I feel brave enough to conquer the boulders and risky enough to hang on so I don't slip down the hill, I pick the flowers fresh, and dry the petals for tea. They are edible, you know!

I got a pack of varied seeds on Ebay, and I will try them in ground in spring.

Good luck!
Suzi

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Does anyone know what this plant is?
I found it in Baja California. It had lovely pink trumpet...
pforrester
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™