Outdoor Clean Ups -- Many Butterflies and Moths Pitched

runmede(7a Virginia)October 11, 2010

Yesterday, I watched a Common Checkered Skipper laying eggs on my Hollyhocks. I wondered what she was doing since it is way too late for them to finish their cycle. I looked it up. They winter over as caterpillars. Unfortunately, there's eggs, caterpillars, and pupae out there tucked here and there in your butterfly garden. Also, many moth cocoons end up in leaf litter when the leaves drop. So, what does one do. One waits until May to really clean up the garden/yard.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Yes! Had this discussion with a couple of customers purchasing butterfly plants at the Farmer's Mkt on Saturday. Everyone wants to clean up in the fall.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 8:54PM
runmede(7a Virginia)

I noticed someone on the list pulling out plants and this is why I posted this topic. Those plants can also be used by birds. Many of our garden plants have seed heads that provide seeds for birds during the winter.

A landscape person a few years ago, recommended stacking the plants you cut upright (if you have to cut them). If there are any chrysalis, then maybe that would give them an opportunity to emerge next spring. If you can find space in your yard, to stack them.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 9:57AM
bernergrrl(z5 IL)

A large percentage of butterflies spend some part of their life cycle in chrysalis/larva (even unfed)stage over the winter. It is amazing.

If I do any clean-up, I check carefully, and the material goes into a separate area where I can spread things out, so a butterfly could come out ok. Generally, though, I don't do too much.

I've been trying not to think about all of the butterflies/moths that are in leaf piles around the country. :(

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 6:37AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I wish I could leave everything up until spring, but I'm already stretching the tolerance of my persnickety neighbors. I just cut down the beds out front and try to leave everything in the backyard go naturally.

Martha

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 5:54PM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

Thanks for reminding me Runmede!! You made me move to gardens where anything gathered is simply set behind the gardens as these border the woodlands of the property - mostly hostas. Other gardens where the debris has to be moved further are being left alone this fall and in the spring I'll not send that debris to th city compost but instead will 'hide' it around the property to give things a chance.

When we know better, we do better. :O)

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
"showy milkweed" asclepias-speciosa plants available
For your information: Milkweed plants currently available...
mary_littlerockar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™