zinnia colors and styles / amaranth & sunflower too

deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)September 7, 2011

Hope you like zinnias. Red elephant head amaranth is 6 foot 9 inches tall. The green elephant head is 4 feet tall.

A sunflower just because. The squirrels have usually lopped the heads by now, but not this year.

Sorry about the orientation of the last 2 pix!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Gotta love the shear exuberance of these at the end of summer! I haven't grown zinnias or amaranthus in my own garden in years, partly because I don't really have the all day sun or warmth the prefer, but I do enjoy how luscious they look.

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 2:06PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I love the cosmos too! My amaranth is huge this year. Here's the green with the red in the background:

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 7:13PM
deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)

Hey there hose: On my cosmos what is with the bees that lie on the flowers? Do they mate there? I saw 2 bees this morning on one flower...one bee looked dead, the other was alive but not too vigorous. Does the pollen knock them out?
Nice amaranth too! Nice garden in general. I see your lamb's ears are under control (kind of).

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 1:50PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

You got me. I don't think it's the pollen. Probably just old age. Worker bees don't mate- they're all females- so they haven't been overcome by conjugal bliss there on the flower and keeled over from heart attacks. That would be a nice way to go, though, wouldn't it?

Lamb's ears are never under control! But they do smell nice when you rip them out of the ground with your bare hands, don't they? And thanks for the compliment.

Renee

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 1:22AM
More Discussions
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™