Clematis, do you have a favorite vendor

carla17(Z7 NC)February 27, 2008

I know about Silver Star Vinery, Brushwood, and Joy Creek.

Can anyone suggest some that are closer to NC or that you've dealt with before.

Thanks,

Carla

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bullthistle

I try not to purchase out of state, because the results for me have been dismal, I have been raising plants for 40 years, but Costco does sell packaged perennials in the spring, including Clematis, different varieties, but maybe not what you are seeking. They also sell bulbs in the fall and for 50 daffodil bulbs for $10, that is a bargin on any planet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 6:48PM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

I have seen Chalk Hill recommended.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 6:50PM
sloppy_joe(8A/7B NC)

Chalk Hill is good. I've bought clematis bulbs from Home Depot before and had great success w/ them. I'd trust Chalk Hill's plants for consistency, though.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 8:45PM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Brushwood Nursery, Silver Star Vinery, and Chalk Hill all have good plants. If you don't mind growing them out, Donahues sells small plants that are nice as does Koi Village (have their own website and sell on eBay). I have also purchased clematis from the now defunct Collectors Nursery, Joy Creek, Seneca Hills Perennials, Plant Delights, the place in Sanford that rhymes with Dig Doomers and a multitude of other places and sellers on eBay.

For the record, clematis do not grow from bulbs so there is no such thing as clematis bulbs. They have crowns though!

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 1:40AM
carla17(Z7 NC)

Thanks all.
I have seen quite a few I lust after at Brushwood. May check out some closer places. Chalk Hill is a biggie I remember.

Carla

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 8:00AM
ncgardner(7B)

I was wondering about the bulb thing myself. There is not clematis bulb.

Are you looking for a certain clematis? All the local nurseries including the two box stores have them in early Spring. I have a clematis called ROOGUCHI which flowers from early Summer on into Sept, has thousands of blooms (over the course of the summer months) and I bought it at Lowes. It isn't a real easy one to find. Look it up on Chalk Hill. There are so many local places to get them unless you are looking for a very rare one. I have 15 and all but 2 are locals. I too foam at the mouth with these websites and clematis. Also a wonderful very large white blooming clematis is HENEYI. Easy to find local.

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 6:56PM
carla17(Z7 NC)

Thanks everyone. Someone told me about a place that has a sale on right now, so I took advantage.

Carla

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™