Issues I ran into last winter..mold!

mattmega4(9)August 5, 2010

SO last year was my first winter with my Cps..and i lost a S. Minor..id rather not lose another CP this winter...here are pics of what happened - depsite my efforts to prevent..and cure it

I bought this sulfer based fungicide..and put in a squirt bottle with distilled water and shook it up and sprayed the heck out of the mold but the mold held its own

...then i heard cinamon killed mold..so i covered it with it..

that didnt work either

so i guess..what do i do this winter? for that fungicide..should i put it on directly..like pour some of the powder on the plant..or should i just mix it with the water and spray like crazy again..id rather not lose my plants

im definitely going to monitor the water level A LOT more anally this winter..keeping it real low

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

I dust throughly with sulfur and keep them just barely moist. Your problem was to much moisture. There should be NO water in the tray. In fact take it out of the tray and mist the soil surface when almost completely dry. I have to bare root all my plants and wrap them in moist LFS and put them in tupperware containers in the frige for winter but yours should be fine outside. Cover them from rain so YOU can control the moisture level.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 2:11PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

Taz, what product do you use?

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 10:06AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Hi-Yield Dusting Wettable Sulphur. It's in a yellow and red bag. I use this on all my Caladiums, Colocasia and Alocasia as well.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 4:44PM
tommyr_gw

I hit my refrigerated CPs a few times over winter with a sulfur based spray like Safer's. Seems to work well.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 5:01PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

Can these products be found at Home Depot? I would like to take all my Sarracenias and do the fridge method this year so I can re-pot everything for the spring.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 8:52AM
tommyr_gw

Any good garden center should have the Safer's spray and similar SULRFER fungicides.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 1:41PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

With the product I used it was just done at packing. Didn't need it again. Keeping the moisture level perfect(just cool to the touch and no excess pooling) had a lot to do with it though.
I got mine from a local feed store. Lowes didn't have sulfur period but didn't check HD.

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 2:47AM
More Discussions
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
Help with N. alata
Hi, We have recently added the wonderful pitcher plant...
Nagem
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
Nepenthes for Beginner
I'm looking to start growing nepenthes. What I've researched...
mildew
Nelenthes 5 basal shoots on 1 plant!
My newish nepenthes, not sure what kind since it was...
mora2817
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™