S. purpurea seedlings, the ongoing story...

don555(3a)August 29, 2008

Thought I should consolidate this in one thread....

I bought 100 S.purpurea (purple pitcher plant) seeds off the Internet in late 2007, then stratified them in a bit of long-fibre sphagnum in the fridge on Oct. 17, 2007.

February 6, 2008, after being stratified for 3.5 months, I planted all of the seeds in one 10cm (4") pot, under grow lights in my basement.

Germination began after 17 days, and was pretty much 100%. Here's how things looked in early March 2008, about 4 weeks after planting the stratified seeds:

But about a month later, disaster struck! The seedlings suffered serious die-off, in fact, I thought they were completely toast. But the die-off gradually stopped, and some seedlings bucked the trend and began to grow again.

So here it is in late August 2008, 6 months after the seeds first sprouted, and about 10 plants look like they are worthy of transplanting. According to an old thread by "Mutant Hybrid", transplanting can really invogorate seedlings, so I'm going to give it a try. Here are the seedlings in their original pot in late August 2008, before I try transplanting to hopefully increase vigour. If all goes well, I will be growing these under grow-lights throughout this winter, and will put them outside next spring to begin a more natural cycle.

-Don

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

Congrats on the survivors. Hard to say what happened there. Could have been a poisoning of the water or soil or damp-off.

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 11:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don555(3a)

Thanks. Yah, I'm thinking damp-off. I had them covered loosely with a clear plastic bag with holes cut in it, so it must have been closing in on 100% humidity in there. Took it off when I saw the die-off.

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 1:40AM
More Discussions
Who has Sarracenia oreophylla?
I have a great clone of S. oreophylla and want to produce...
fredsbog
VFT after some ice and snow
I just wanted to upload this pic of my VFT and pitcher...
purslanegarden
Nepenthes for Beginner
I'm looking to start growing nepenthes. What I've researched...
mildew
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
Sponsored Products
Glitter-Leather Luggage Tag
$45.00 | Horchow
Raine Leather Chair - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Blue Rosie Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$14.99 | zulily
Swanky Gray Apothecary Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Veil Polished Chrome Five-Light Pendant
$438.00 | Bellacor