A few questions from a newb to cp's

melikesthepeculiar(7)August 2, 2010

A few questions that hopefully some of you cp experts can answer..I appreciate any help you can offer.

1. Do all carnivorous plants need acidic growing medium, or can some take alkaline?

2. Are there any carnivorous plants that like shade, or do most like sun?

3. Which carnivorous plants if any can survive freezing winters outside?

4. Do all carnivorous plants like to be very moist, or can some dry out a bit for a day and still survive?

5. Will tap water damage all carnivorous plants? Just wondering what would happen if I had some outside and watered them with the hose.

Thanks again if you can offer any advice.Hope this wasn't too many questions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

A few questions that hopefully some of you cp experts can answer..I appreciate any help you can offer.

1. Do all carnivorous plants need acidic growing medium, or can some take alkaline? Some Mexican butterworts prefer alkaline media.

2. Are there any carnivorous plants that like shade, or do most like sun? A few do better in "bright shade", like D. adelae, D. prolifera, and D. schizandra.

3. Which carnivorous plants if any can survive freezing winters outside? Sarracenias and VFT's experience frosts.

4. Do all carnivorous plants like to be very moist, or can some dry out a bit for a day and still survive? Some very definitely prefer drier conditions, like Drosphyllum lusitanicum.

5. Will tap water damage all carnivorous plants? Just wondering what would happen if I had some outside and watered them with the hose. It's a slow death for them.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 8:53AM
melikesthepeculiar(7)

petiolaris,

Thank you so much! That was very helpful and informative.

Sorry one other question, what is the best way to water the cp's?
Do I need to distill the water or can I buy it or something? Thanks again

Carnivorous plants are so amazing and beautiful. I hope to get some soon and have a go at growing them.

Take care

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 3:57PM
einmyria(5B - Longmont, CO)

The only type of water you can use is: distilled water, reverse osmosis water, or rain water. I buy distilled.

Many CPs do good by putting the pot on a tray of water. The best pot to use is plastic with at least one or multiple holes on the bottom.

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
Mold... *Sigh*
Well, I screwed up. I didn't cover up the plants dormant...
David146
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
Nepenthes for beginners
Hi, I used to be a member of Garden Web years ago when...
HollowOakFarm
anyone have any pitcher plants or cuttings to spare
Hello all Just wondering if anyone had any pitcher...
renagirl-2008
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™