Which hydrangea for Butterflies?

fairfieldcircle(6a)October 11, 2012

I'm doing some fall planting and want to include some hydrangeas that attract butterflies for nectaring.

I have a number of old Oakleaf Hydrangeas but have never noticed butterflies around them--does anyone have any other Hydrangea varieties to recommend?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best, t.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

I know my hydrangeas NEVER attract butterflies. I have not gotten rid of them because they came from a neighbor (before I bought my house) and the neighbor has commented on how she is glad I still have them.

Link below shows some butterflies enjoying hydrangeas. I don't know what the hydrangea species are so maybe you can figure it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas Bring in the Butterflies

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 10:31AM
larry_gene

The hydrangeas pictured with butterflies in the kc link above are Hydrangea paniculata, apparently named for the panicle-shaped blooms, although paniculatas have other bloom forms.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 3:24AM
atcps(7A)

Hi all, It is true that particular year the Hydrangea paniculatas really brought in the swallowtails as pictured on my blog. That was mainly due to the over population of the swallowtails that particular year though. They were everywhere in the garden. Despite this I would highly recommend 'Limelight' any day of the year for a multitude of interest! Thanks for including my link. It's super wonderful to think of butterflies prior to planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: In the Garden

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 9:27AM
luis_pr

I have caught a whiff sometimes from paniculata bloomage so I wonder if that too attracts them.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 1:59PM
bananasinohio(6OH)

I have one that when producing nectar does bring in some things but not a ton. It is a panicle. I think it is quickfire but I forget. It is not really a remarkable shrub but it is tough. My other hydrangeas, oakleaf and one of the usual macrophyllas (I think) bring in nothing.

Is there a reason you want hydrangeas? I know you are down in the Cinci area right? In the Dayton area, with the alkaline soil, hydrangeas are not like they would be in an area with acid soil. I remember my grandmother's shrubs on Long Island. They were at least six feet tall with gorgeous blue blooms. But I can't help trying. So, I have some in pots to get the size and blooms.

Anyhow, I know you know butterfly plants but maybe this is a good thread to talk about shrubs other than butterfly bush. On second thought, I will start a new thread!

Cheers,
Elisabeth

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
"showy milkweed" asclepias-speciosa plants available
For your information: Milkweed plants currently available...
mary_littlerockar
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™