Many visitors today!

organic_kitten(8)October 10, 2010

Today was an outstanding day! My zinnias are not at all up to par now, but as long as the visitors continue to enjoy them, I will leave them. I had at least 20 sulfurs and about as many gulf frits today. Several varieties of skippers visited and I saw just the second goatweed butterfly I have ever seen. It was sitting on the wet soil of a flowerbed I had just watered. As many as ten sulfurs at a time were lighting and enjoying the wet soil too.

Quite a few of the butterflies flew through water as I sprayed it on the plants, they flitted around and reminded me of toddlers playing under a sprinkler. I had a black tiger swallowtail enjoying the zinnias and the water, and all and all it was a lovely day! I am really going to miss the butterflies when they are through traveling through my yard.

kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Sounds just wonderful Kay!! Yes, I'd keep the flowers as long as they are still coming. I had a similar experience the other day when I watered a flower bed. As I sprayed the bed, the butterflies began to come in and flit all around exictedly. I am seeing loads of Cloudless Sulphurs now. They tend to focus on the red tubular blooms.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
One Butterfly Deformed.
January 31, 2,015, at 1:30 p.m., in the afternoon.........
woollybear69
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™