My Camellia is blooming

deirdre_2007(7)February 19, 2008

Now, I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'm very proud of my little, and I do mean little, shrub. When we bought this house 3 years ago, I was saddened because I only had "non-flowering" evergreen shrubs and I was disappointed that the previous owners had such boring landscaping.

I knew enough not to toss anything out until I knew what everything was. I'm originally from MA, so a lot of the plantings were unfamiliar to me. Last year, I discovered that 4 of my shrubs, previously thought to be non-bloomers to me, were Gardenias. I took great care of them last year and they rewarded me with beautiful displays throughout their bloom period.

Also, I suspected that another one of my "non-bloomers" was a Camellia. I had recently fallen in love with them, and was thrilled to find out that I may have one in my garden. So, I fertilized it and watered it and basically cared and loved it all year last year despite the drought. About a month ago, I noticed that I had buds!!! They stayed there for a long time and I began to think thaty they may be "bull-nosed". I don't know if that's a legitimate term, but it's a term my mom uses to describe a bud that never blooms.

Well I came home from dropping my daughter off at pre-school and I have a beautiful, hot-pink flower just beginning to open up. It is not completely open, but give it another day and I know it will be beautiful. Also, I can see that I have about 4-6 more ready to open and literally 25-30 buds present. Now the funny thing is that this little bugger is only 2 feet high and scraggly. Only one main "trunk" and a few piddly branches shooting off at irregular angles. But even though it is scraggly and misshapen; I love it!!

It may never be an awesome specimen because someone lobbed off the main trunk in a pruning gone very awry, but to me it will always be dear to me. To me, it's one of my best gardening discoveries!!! And although I haven't tried it yet, I plan on propogating it, as propogation is going to be my main focus this year. I won't be buying any new plants (okay, well I'll try LOL) this year, I'm just going to divide and propogate all Spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coorscat(6 and 9)

You MUST post a pic!! I can't wait to see. How very exciting for you. I know when I baby something along like that it feels almost like your baby is taking their first steps. Congrats Congrats Congrats

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 3:34PM
trianglejohn

I always say that there oughta be a law the requires everyone in this area to grow Camellias and Gardenias. They are such a treat during the off season. My only complaint about mine is the slow growth rate - but god they put up with anything. I have some in deep deep shade way in the back of the yard and they continue to grow (though they don't bloom as much).

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 3:54PM
amyflora(7 NC)

That sounds so pretty!! By the way, camellias make great cut flowers, and this may be a good way to keep your delicate branches from breaking if we get a big rain or ice. I have had damage when the blossoms get so heavy a branch just breaks right off!! Camellias floating in a bowl with those floating candles are beautiful. Hope the propagation goes well!

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 8:30AM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

That's great! I'm glad the old owners planted something worth keeping. The four gardenias sound wonderful.

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™