Removing mature Clematis and Rose for drought-tolerant plants

jenn(SoCal 9/19)September 7, 2012

I am still considering removing a mature climbing rose (Westerland) and 3 mature Clematis next to it (Venosa Violacea, Polish Spirit, and Minute) to make room for a drought-tolerant garden at one end of our yard.

I have no trouble moving the other plants growing in front of them, but I am agonizing over these.

With the other plants gone, there will be much more space in front of Westerland give it more water and food, both of which it lacked this year. Two of the Clematis grow together in the same hole and are beautiful when in bloom. The other one is also beautiful but is somewhat hidden in the corner; I could try to find another spot for it in the yard.

If I decide to not keep them, I will give them away.

I don't want to regret making that decision. I could use some guidance, or maybe some counseling, LOL.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

What about pouring dishwater or the rinsewater from the washing machine on them? Or save rainwater. You don't have to get rid of everything that needs water. 5 gallons a week would keep them happy, just cut your showers down by one or two minutes instead. 5 gallons isn't much...

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 3:47PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

If they give you pleasure, I think you should keep them.
How much could it really cost to water them? It's not like you're watering a lawn.
But if you're tired of them and just want a landscape that pretty much takes care of itself, then go right ahead and dig them out. I'll be right over to get them :)
Renee

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 2:35AM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Renee, they are yours if I decide to do that. :-)

It isn't that much water, really, but I've been considering a non-thirsty garden here and wanted to start with large shrubs at the back. However, I could add suitable companions around the rose and clematis, not too close.

I probably will move Venosa Violacea to another spot in the yard where it will be more visible.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:39AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Over the years most climbing roses and some clematis are not pruned hard enough. My climbers, I take the oldest canes right down to the ground, keeping only the youngest, not more than 3. My clematis I treat most type 2 as type 3 and take them down to about a foot high, yearly. These fine garden plants we tire of mostly because they become overgrown. Both are deep rooted and not excessively thirsty. Al

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 9:45AM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Well - it's been a year and I've decided I'm going to bite the bullet and do it. This year has been a string of health issues that left little time and/or energy to babysit the plants. Westerland and the Clematis are beautiful when in bloom, but not for this particular spot in our particular yard. I may try to find spots for the Clematis somewhere else, but I'm going to remove them and Westerland and replace them with different plants.

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
My moonflowers won't bloom!
Hi. I'm Laura and I'm pretty new to gardening but I...
Laura Casconi
Discount pottery now that Norcal has Closed?
Does anyone have any good sources for discount pottery...
kristimama
Shrubs for zone 9b (Riverside)
What shrubs have these attributes: Evergreen Height:...
Gary
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
New House - Need Help!
Hi Everyone, I recently moved into my new home in Orange,...
Phil Arnold
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™