Planting time for broccoli

corin99(7b Triangle NC)February 12, 2008

Hi...I started my broccoli seeds the other day, aiming for transplanting in mid-March as per the NCSU guidelines but then saw broccoli seedlings for sale over at Lowes.

So now I'm wondering if people here (I'm in Durham NC) actually put broccoli in the ground this early? I'm a little doubtful, as I remember seeing tomato seedlings for sale in mid-March last year, which is clearly too early. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ralph Whisnant(z7b-8 NC)

I started broccoli from seed in November and planted it in December in a bed with endive seed and with Bibb lettuce plants that I bought from Campbell Road nursery. The bed is covered with shade cloth most of the time except for sunny days when I am working in the garden. Recently these plants have been really growing and we are getting salads daily by breaking off one leaf per plant from the biggest lettuce and clipping the endive seedlings which are about 2-inches high. As the broccoli plants get bigger, I will harvest the lettuce and endive from around them until they are alone in this bed.
Broccoli should do well if planted now if you can cover the plants to keep off the frost. If not, the plants could be damaged or killed by a hard freeze. In past years I have put thin plastic sheets over the shade cloth when the weather was forecast to be sub-freezing, but this year, I never got around to it, and the lettuce, spinach, endive and asian greens have all come through the couple of nights in the mid-teens we have had here in Raleigh.

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 8:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corin99(7b Triangle NC)

Ok, well maybe I'll head over to Lowes and pick up some seedlings. They had some Early Dividend, which is a lot earlier than the types I'm growing from seed. That will help spread the harvest out.

Thanks.

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
onions from seed; one more try
I've struggled to grow onions from seed and have tried...
thomis
Did he "crape-murder" my crape myrtle ?
My husband looked online for instructions on how to...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
Greenville South Carolina Plant Swap
Greenville Glen will be hosting a Spring Plant Swap...
tbug
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
Privacy shrubs in upstate South Carolina - Thuja or something else?
I live in the upstate of South Carolina. My Leyland...
sharonsand
Sponsored Products
Grosvenor Square 211250 Wall Sconce by Fine Art Lamps
$472.50 | Lumens
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Fun Time Shape Com Multi Colored
$69.97 | Home Depot
Roll Out Trays
CliqStudios Cabinets
Calhoun Single Arm Chaise - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Free-Pad Heriz Knotted By Hand Wool 3'x10' Antiqued Serapi 3 Flower Runner Orien
BH Sun Inc
16 Inch Atomic Analog Wall Clock
$54.95 | Bellacor
Silk 20-inch Mini Calla Lily Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com
Colorful Succulents Wreath
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™