Planting mix

rover72August 5, 2011

Time to repot the nep, as it's growing like a weed. I've read the threads on 'soil' mixes, but was wondering if there was any benefit (or consequences) of including a judicious amount of charcoal to the mix. There was an interesting article in the paper a couple of months ago WRT charcoal and carbon sequestration in equatorial conditions.

Cheers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
predatoryplants

Barry Rice has a short article that's worth reading:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3330.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Charcoal & Nepenthes

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 12:18PM
rover72

Thanks...I guess that answers that. I was intending to use a mix of long-fiber sphagnum, perlite (as close as I can get to volcanic rock) and sand. Maybe a bit of orchid bark in the bottom of the pot to keep the holes from plugging up....

Cheers

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 1:24PM
Hegory

I recommend not using sand, as it does not drain well, nor does it provide good soil aeration, both of which are fairly essential for root growth, and if you ever plan to fertilize through the roots, which I recommend, the sand will prevent drainage and will lead to salt build up which will lead to death of the plants.

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 2:24PM
RainforestGuy

If you plan to use a fertilizing regime, use a media which will dry out between watering. I like pumice (not perlite), orchid bark and cedar mulch (un-dyed type)
Mix this evenly and fill pots that are not over sized. Use a pot that has lots and lots of drain holes. Mesh pots are also great for this plant.
Other media used includes coco bark (use sparingly), chopped osmunda, and lesser amounts of LFS.

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 3:00PM
voltairius

Fertize again, RainforestGuy?

How grows it in Hawaii?

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 1:50PM
Hegory

Even if rainforstGuy lives in Hawaii, I live in Utah (a desert) and doing what he said is the only way to get mine to grow good.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
Venus flytrap dormancy
hi I just wanted to know the best way to get my Venus...
compostworm5
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™