Huge Mushroom In My Flowerbed!

kat58(8)September 3, 2008

A few months ago we put some red bark in our flowerbeds, now I am having problems with mushrooms. They are only growing in one particular bed where I have a some Lavender, two Calla Lilly and off to the side a Rose bush. I first started seeing mushrooms a few weeks ago around one of the Calla Lilly and dug them out. This morning I spotted a huge mushroom between my rose bush and the other Calla Lilly. How do I get rid of them?

Here are a couple of pics

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=u37a775.9vldj4g1&Uy=6487l3&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0amp;UV=689657767225_158560246209&localeid=en_US

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltecato(9)

It won't do any good to just dig them out, because the visible part (mushroom) is only the reproductive portion of the fungus. It's like chopping of a weed's flower and expecting the whole plant to die. The main part of the fungus is probably growing in, under or around the wood chips you put down.

I'm not an expert on these things, but I'm just guessing that to get rid of the fungus you might try: 1) taking out the wood chips 2) watering less 3) applying fungicide or 4) a combination of these measures.

You didn't say whether the fungus was harming your other plants. If it's not causing trouble, it might be best left alone.

    Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 5:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

The mushroom is *not* a problem. It's the "flowering" portion of a common fungus. Neither the mushroom nor the fungus are a problem.

The mushroom is there because everything it requires came together at the correct time
-- the common, non-damaging fungus
-- suitable temperature
-- suitable moisture conditions

You may not see more for months, possibly years.

So, relax and enjoy what nature does naturally in gardens, yards, landscape, and the forests.

    Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 7:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kat58(8)

I just think this is so strange! Before we put the bark in the ground was very hard and dry. I would have to really soak it good in order to dig a hole to plant and the only thing that liked it were the weeds lol! It's been hot here, in the 90s-100s and I only water that area as needed so I'm guessing that the bark is keeping enough moisture in for these things to grow.

    Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 7:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wanda(Z9 CA)

Mushrooms are decomposers in the "animal" kingdom. They help to break down dead/dying organic material. The bark retains enough moisture on it's underside that it supports the dampness that the fungi needs to do it's work.

As said above, relax... your bark is being composted and your soil is starting to live...and that's a good thing.

P.S. Of course, you should keep an eye out if you have children on pets that may decide to sample it. If that is a problem, then you can just knock off the fruiting body everytime you see them.

wanda

    Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 12:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

The bark you added to your soil is doing exactly what is intended to do. It is making your soil friable and moisture retentive, feeding microbes which in turn will feed the earthworms which will help maintain the needed air in the soil. Certainly a win/win result for your garden. Al

    Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 8:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kat58(8)

thanks!

    Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 9:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eloise_ca

I too had different types of mushrooms sprouting in my raised beds. I didn't use bark, but assumed the spores came in the soil mix I added to the raise beds. I just pull them out and discard. No harm done.

    Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 11:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toyo2960

Mushroom. Toadstool. Whatever type it is. Don't eat it. But like all fungi, mushrooms are the fruiting parts of the fungus. The spores may have been on the bark. Or in the ground. Regardless. I would treat the area with a fungicide. Not knowing what is edible or poisonous is a problem with pets and children. They can always pop them in their mouth.

    Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 3:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

It was suggested "I would treat the area with a fungicide. "

That would waste time and dollars. Don't bother.

    Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 9:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
altadenafoothills(z21 CA)

I had mushrooms in my lasgna bed for about two weeks. At first they really rattled me because there were so many. I'd furiously tug them out every morning. But then I gave up, and they just went away. (So did the little flies)

    Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 2:14PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Hayward Papaya.
You could knock me over with a feather. In the bay...
stanofh
Need Giant Whitefly Locations in SoCal (Researcher)
Hello I am an Entomology Ph.D. student in need of some...
nebulusx
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
Sunset Magazine slowly being gutted
A real shame. I've been a subscriber for decades, ever...
jkom51
Where in Southern CA can I buy a bag of Dried Calimyrna figs?
My closest stupid town has one supermarket chain and...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Sponsored Products
Jofran 698-3 Baroque Brown End Table
Beyond Stores
Cherner Counter Stool, Walnut
Design Within Reach
Saarinen Tulip Armless Chair
Design Within Reach
22-Inch Square Mushroom Polyester Pillow Cover with Down Insert
$75.60 | Bellacor
Arturo 8-Light Rectangular Chandelier
Ballard Designs
Euro Floating Wall Shelf
Home Decorators Collection
Eglo USA Caprice 91856A Striped Satinated Glass Wall Sconce - 91856A
$50.00 | Hayneedle
Artemide | Tolomeo Classic LED MWL Table Lamp
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™