Finding 50# Corn Meal in Triad

ymatlosz(7a)February 12, 2012

Hello All,

I recently read about adding corn meal to the lawn, but have not been able to find 50 pound bags of the stuff anywhere in Greensboro. Not even Southern States.

Does anyone know of a source near High Point/Greensboro/Winston-Salem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

I thought it was corn gluten that was added to lawns to curb weeds.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 7:37PM
ymatlosz(7a)

My understanding is that corn meal is a good fertilizer and also helps with fungal control and soil conditioning. Corn gluten is mainly used for weed prevention,

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 12:31AM
nandina(8b)

Your question surprised me! When I visit the Greensboro area my first stop (after calling ahead to place an order for 50# of cornmeal which they fresh grind) is at the Old Mill of Guilford where everything is stone ground. Next door to you. Wonderful place to visit. Do a search to generally find the history and price list of their products.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 8:00AM
ymatlosz(7a)

LOL - yes that is just right up the road from me. I've been there a few times in the past, but thought they only did small bags.

Thanks so much - I'm going to call today!

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 7:55AM
ymatlosz(7a)

They were *really* expensive ... $1.10 per pound. I found a place that sells soybean meal for $12.59 per 50 pounds and might try that instead.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 12:53PM
ncdirtdigger(7b)

Is Wake Forrest close enough? Try thegrainmillwf dot com. They have 50# bags for around $22.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 3:00PM
ymatlosz(7a)

We get up there occasionally and I'll definitely plan to stop by the next time we're in that area. Thanks so much!

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 10:09PM
coorscat(6 and 9)

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't corn meal just attract every bug and rodent in the county?

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 6:25PM
grassboro

You can find out about using grains on your lawn on the Organic Lawn Care forum. I use it all of the time now instead of synthetic fertilizer and have had great success. Although grains have varying amounts of Nitrogen (not as much as synthetic ferts) what you are really doing is applying grains to the soil for the protein in them. The protein is food for the microherd living in the soil. A healthy fed microherd in your soil then feeds the grass at the right time naturally and takes care of a lot of fungal diseases. Corn meal, cracked corn, alfalfa pellets, Soybean meal, etc. are all good. Just use the cheapest. You do not need to buy the expensive "Organic" products, which contain the same thing that you can get much cheaper in 50 lb bags at farmer exchanges, feed stores, Southern States, etc. Just google and call a few places. It is good for the soil in your garden too.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
black currents in the South
I want to grow black currents in the Triangle and have...
ChurchofBotany
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™