Viceroy or Red-spotted Purple chrysalis?

seedmoneyOctober 20, 2010

Greetings,

I grow three species of willow: Salix caroliniana, Salix babylonica and Salix matsudana 'Tortuosa'. I find these chrysalises on them frequently. Can't decide if they belong to a Viceroy or a Red-spotted Purple. Which species do you think it is, and why?

To make this interesting, both species have been recorded on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, where I live. Thanks for your input.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viceroy or Red-spotted Purple?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

They are so similar that I just can't tell them apart, but your picture is awesome!~~Angie

Bookmark   October 21, 2010 at 6:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladobe

Now thatâÂÂs a great picture that shows a lot of detail. Good job.

Even so your pupa could be Limenitis arthemis astyanax, Limenitis archippus archippus or even Limenitis arthemis arthemis.

While some lepidopterists' in locations where multiple species overlap think they may have enough long term experience with possible local species clines (and so their variations) to do so, as Angie suggested, in these species it's very hard to impossible to determine species/subspecies in the pupal stage.

An example... A very serious, over the top lepidopterist I was associated with 20-25 years ago spent many years studying a specific vast area in the west where the recorded ranges of several Limenitis species/subspecies did or could over lap. As well as for many other specifics, the research included determining if the species/subspecies could be identified from the larval and pupal stages. End result I believe was yes from larval stage (at least to species level), but only maybe from the pupal stage. ItâÂÂs been a long time since I read his paper written from the study, but if I remember right the Limenitis species recorded in the location he studied included at least:
L. astyanax arizonensis (others referred to this bug as L. arthemis arizonensis)
L. archippus obsoleta
L. archippus lahontani
L. weidemeyerii latifacia
L. weidemeyerii angustifacia
L. weidemeyerii nevadae
L. lorquini lorquini
L. lorquini burrisonii

HTH,
L.

Bookmark   October 21, 2010 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Milkweed germination times and rates
Someone was kind enough to send me all sorts of seeds...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Aristolochia Elegans Seeds for SASE
I have harvested a ton of seed pods (at least 45 pods!)...
mechelle_m
This stuff is hard
I have a ten acre prairie restoration that I have made...
rollie
Starting to look good in the south U.S.A....
Yesterday and today I saw butterflies here in my "yard". Actually...
dragonflydee
Coral Honeysuckle
I remember reading that Coral Honeysuckle is a good...
jane__ny
Sponsored Products
Pre-owned Japanese Lacquered Box
$325.00 | Chairish
Monarch Specialties 8082RD Swivel Rocker Recliner in Red Leather
Beyond Stores
Koncept | Equo Gen 3 LED Desk Lamp
$198.00 | YLighting
Ivory & Blue Hand Tufted Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Custom Georgiana Upholstered Headboard
Home Decorators Collection
Couristan Anatolia Antique Kashan Cream-Red Oriental Rug Multicolor - 2067/0009-
$32.00 | Hayneedle
Surya Essence Round Red Area Rug
LuxeDecor
Viceroy Royal Bronze Ten-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™