Flowering Cherry Variety, or Cultivar, in Median of US Highway 76

jay_7bsc(8a)February 18, 2009

Does anyone know what cultivar of flowering cherry is now blooming in the median of US Highway 76 in Clemson? It's used there and in several other highway right-of-way plantings in and around Clemson, and obviously, blooms much earlier than most other flowering cherries. (It's definitely not _Prunus mume_, the Japanese flowering apricot.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I believe it's Okame cherry. I have several in my yard.

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 8:35AM
jay_7bsc(8a)

Thanks, bumblebeez. Will add the Okame cherry to my list of "must-have" flowering trees. Our Japanese flowering apricots, which bloom in January and tolerate normally cold weather, were badly hurt by the couple of near-ten-degree nights that struck them in bud and in flower. I need to add something to the yard that blooms a little later than the mumes but still ahead of the later flowering cherries. The Okame should fit the bill. Have you tried the Taiwan cherry, _Prunus campanulata_, which also blooms early?

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 9:58AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Okame has Taiwan as a parent.
You might find this article is interesting. I like flowering apricots also but the one I have, Kobai gets bitten each year by the cold.
The Clemson Botanical gardens have several varieties of flowering apricot that are glorious so hopefully mine will eventually be too.
They have a grouping of varieties in the meadow across from the Wren House and a specimen in the hosta garden.
I choose Kobai after smelling all of them but Kobai had the deepest aroma- although it might have just been that tree.
I love the fragrance of the apricots.

I'm only guessing that the trees in Clemson are Okame. I might be wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: taiwan cherry

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™