Modified corn affecting monarchs?

catbird(z7 AL)October 8, 2010

I just received this email from a Master Gardener friend and wondered if any of you have heard anything about it:

"I talked with my uncle from Pinson [Alabama]. He is concerned about monarch butterflies because he has seen very few this year & normally sees many. He is afraid it may be due to the new genetically modified corn which has a pesticide built in against corn earworm. I did not know this, but he said that when the monarchs leave Mexico in spring, their food while migrating is corn tassels. Then low & behold, there is an article in today's paper about that corn -no mention of butterflies. He was hoping I could check with my MG friends as to whether they had seen a decline in monarchs. I, myself, have not seen any monarchs, but I normally see more swallowtails, fritillaries & yellows. Let me know & spread this around if you like."

I'm not a dedicated butterfly watcher, but I do love having them in my garden. Hadn't watched particularly for monarchs, but don't recall seeing any this year. From other postings here, I know that some of you have seen them. Have you noticed any fewer this year than usual?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catbird(z7 AL)

I found a report from the Pew Trusts that has some interesting updates on this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Update on modified corn and monarchs

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Did anyone watch the Monarch Butterfly segment on CBS Sunday Morning?
This was interesting and inspirational! The speaker...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Aristolochia Elegans Seeds for SASE
I have harvested a ton of seed pods (at least 45 pods!)...
mechelle_m
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Journey of the Butterly
PBS stations are repeating The Incredible Jouney of...
flowerpowerx
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™