Echinopsis terscheckii - Argentine Saguaro

chezronSeptember 16, 2011

Echinopsis terscheckii - Does anybody grow this plant? It looks like a Saguaro but it grows MUCH faster. I have a Euphorbia ingens where I want the Echinopsis terscheckii. I am giving the Euphorbia on Craig's list, so I will have a perfect spot for this cactus. How much of a difference does a little extra water and fertilizer have on the growth rate of cactus? I generally do not fertilize anything, I mulch instead.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stanofh

I have what I was told was E.tersheckii. Its a moderate grower for me. But,I'm in the SF bay area of moderate summer temps.
It is a tough cacti-mine was dug up I discovered later,by plumbers fixing a line. I replanted,and its gone on looking none the worse for wear.
I do know,it's nowhere's near as fast as the tree Euphorbia's. It could be tortoise and hair...the cacti will keep going up as the tree Euphorbia's branch out.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 2:06PM
stanofh

hare. sheesh.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 6:35PM
chezron

thanks, saw a 10 year old one today and it is about 8-10 feet tall with three "arms". Good to know.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 3:43PM
lzrddr(91360)

Very commonly available in southern California. I have several and they are slightly faster than Saguaros... but incredibly slow compared to something like a Euphorbia ingens.. my E ingens has grown over 15' in 3 years... my Echinopsis have grown maybe 2' in 5 years- both are now 4' tall (and they were several dozen years old at that time... grown in pots, though, until I got them). Super large, old Echinopsis like those seen at Lotusland are over 100 years old... you are not going to end up with a huge cactus in less than 20-30 years even with this species.. .you want to grow a big, fast cactus, get Neoraimondia... mine is about 15' tall now and it was only 5' 5 years ago when I got it... MUCH faster than any Echinopsis. Even Pachycereus are way faster grows than Echinopsis.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:41PM
chezron

Lizard Vet,

Thanks for the great info! My Echinopsis terscheckii is 3+ feet tall now. The one I saw was easily 8 feet or taller and I would be super happy with that height. i guess I just have to wait 10 years. i will look into Neoraimondia though

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™