Yucca aloifolia 'Purpurea'

carol23_gwJune 21, 2012

What is the origin of this cultivar? Today I saw it in two nurseries and it's a pricey plant at $ 25.00. The foliage is wide and fleshy, not what I think of with the straight species. It looks as though winter would ruin it.

At that price I don't want to risk a dead plant.

Thanks for feedback.

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Carol,

I found this short conversation from the XW experts - Fountain Hills, AZ can freeze during the winter so I'm guessing it's moderately cold-hardy, but possibly not to the degree my Yucca here is (I don't know the species, but it's flowering for the first time!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Aloe Yucca - sure

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 12:31PM
chadec(N.C.7b)

I got mine from a nursery near Biltimore House. But after talking to the ppl at LA Reynolds nursery in Lewisville. I planted mine. Most searches says its at least hardy to z7 some say z6. Depending on how severe our winter gets I may cover it.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 8:02PM
carol23_gw

Thank you for the replies. I live not very far from Biltmore House. Today I'm hoping to photograph what I believe is a mature Yucca aloifolia in my subdivision. The homeowner stated they brought the Yucca with them from Missouri many years ago. It's a very nice specimen! The foliage looks nothing like that of the 'Purpurea' plant for sale at nurseries.
It is difficult for me to imagine it's simply a selection of aloifolia.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 8:04AM
linda_denman_island(8b)

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty about the origin of this yucca. Some people are convinced that it is a desmettiana hybrid, but I don't know if this is true or not. It's a gorgeous yucca and I personally would not be able to resist trying it if I came across one. It's not clear to me how hardy it is.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 10:47AM
carol23_gw

Second picture. Is this aloifolia?

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 11:24AM
carol23_gw

first

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 11:25AM
linda_denman_island(8b)

It sure looks like it to me because of how the leaves are tightly crowded along the stem. It's a nice plant.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 12:17PM
chadec(N.C.7b)

Looks more like true aloifolia to me. All of the hybrids I have seen have much softer leaves.

Heres My Purpurea

And here is a yucca aloifolia

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 2:16PM
carol23_gw

'Purpurea' must be a hybrid then, and should not be labeled as a selection of aloifolia. To do so is misleading and leaves those purchasing the plant without a true sense of hardiness.
There should be information available on how this plant came to be and what species are involved.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 3:15PM
chadec(N.C.7b)

I have seen it labeled as aloe also. Must be part of the cross but the growers were positive that it was hardy. Of course I'll know for sure next March!

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 9:11PM
cactusmcharris

Carol,

If it's legitimately named 'Purpurea', I'd suspect it's a variety of a species, rather than a hybrid, which doesn't usually use a Latin word as a hybrid / cultivar name.

Chad,

That's really pretty.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 12:11AM
chadec(N.C.7b)

Jeff that's just it, I have seen the same plant under different cultivar/ssp. At one nursery its yucca and at another its aloe. All I know is its beautiful and I'll provide winter protection if foliage damage appears. I am keeping a more complex journal this year. So I will report any problems next spring.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 9:14AM
linda_denman_island(8b)

Your Y. aloifolia 'Purpurea' and garden looks beautiful Chad. I like the mulch your using too.

I can see why some people think there is some Y. desmettiana in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Y. desmettiana

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 10:26AM
chadec(N.C.7b)

Thanks Carol. That Y. desmettiana is a beauty. Hope mine has half the color that one does.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 11:45AM
carol23_gw

I love the photos! You can see the pups , or offsets, of Yucca aloifolia are stiffly upright with fairly narrow leaves. They do not look like 'Purpurea'which has fleshier, wider and arching foliage.
Normally a new introduction has a history of its origin. Why don't we have the information on who came up with it, where, etc?
It would not be the first time a plant was labeled incorrectly. Look at the many Clematis cultivars from texensis hybrids that are named Clematis texensis _______
( Princess Diana, among many others) which are no more than 50% genetics of texensis and should be correctly labeled as Clematis 'Princess Diana'.
Anyone caring to see this :
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=530
The cross between a large flowered hybrid and a species, texensis.
How Monrovia labels it:
http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1308/princess-diana-clematis.php

If the Yucca cost $ 5 , it would not be a terrible loss if the hardiness was incorrect. Plants here are selling for $ 25 and we should know just how hardy it is.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 3:44PM
linda_denman_island(8b)

It is strange that there isn't more information available. Even the Agave and Yucca book I have classifies it under aloifolia.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Aztcqn's Spiky & Fat Herd
I'm back with a renewed effort to make my yard a place...
aztcqn
Help with jade plant growth
I have had my jade plant for over 10 years and it has...
jpkaylor
Jade fused trunk
Hi all, been reading for a while, first time poster. My...
andymac85
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
Aloe ID
Anyone here know the ID of this aloe? This is over...
russ_fla
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™