Sterile Plants

hikenyuraAugust 4, 2007

I recently found out that some carnivorous plants are sterile, can name me all of the venus fly trap species and the sarracenia species that are sterile, if you only know some of them just post the ones you know

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mutant_hybrid(8)

Actually, Venus Flytraps are all one species and should not be sterile, they are just not much for making seeds. They will make only a few dozen seeds at one time. Venus Flytrap differences are just genetic variations of one base type of plant, like all dogs breeds came from one genetic stock, wolves.

Most of the Sarracenias are not sterile, as a matter of fact, the "Tarnok" is one of the few I know of that is. The rest of the Sarracenias all require cross pollination to produce seeds though.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 2:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corymbosa(Vic,Oz)

As mutant hybrid mentioned, you're really only looking at Sarracenia Tarnok. Tarnok is a floral patterning mutant that results in the pollen and ovules not developing leading to a completely sterile plant. I am unaware of any other Sarracenia species or hybrids with this mutation nor any VFT variant in cultivation that has flowers sufficiently deformed to be sterile. VFT's and Sarra's do have physical barriers to prevent self pollenation. VFT pollen and ovules mature at different times and Sarra flowers stop pollentors passing over the stigma once they have picked up the pollen. However, both VFT's and Sarra's can be self pollenated by hand. Issues of sterility are more a problem in genera like Drosera where several species have chemical barriers to self pollenation and there aren't many different clones in cultivation available to produce seed. You do also get a few completely sterile Drosera hybrids and mutants like the crestate Dosera capensis.

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
Help with N. alata
Hi, We have recently added the wonderful pitcher plant...
Nagem
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™