CPs in Oklahoma (Zone 6)

morhavocAugust 14, 2006

I took someone's advice and put my VFT and North American pitcher plant in the shade outside and had my neighbor water them while I went on vacation. I was gone about a week, and when I came back, they were shriveled up and brown. I've watered them a little (I know my neighbor watered them, the distilled water I left was all gone when I got back), but I don't have much hope. I guess that's what happens when you grow something outside when it's 100F+ and you've been -literally- months without rain.

So.. I'm going to order a few more VFTs and pitcher plants (dente, typical and red dragon traps, sweet pitcher plant) and I'm going to try putting them in a bright window this time. I've seen some pictures a few posts down of people doing this, so I assume it can be done, right?

Also, anybody have tips for keeping live sphagnum moss alive? I ordered a bit too much, kept it outside and growing well for a while, but same story. Went on vacation, came back, and the weather had done it in.

And, yes, I am determined to grow these plants, hah.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactuspaul Tulsa zone7(7a)

Hi, If you live near Tulsa, come on by and see my CP's. I put in my bog last year 16x8 and it is very, very full and beautiful although this time of year as you realize is tough to water. Paul

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 10:42PM
morhavoc

Unfortunately, I live all the way in Edmond, quite a ways from Tulsa. I'm sure it is beautiful though! I'd love to have one myself eventually.

Tough question for someone, though: There's still green on the plants I mentioned earlier, the ones all dried out. I'm faced with a dilemma. They're in soil that drains terribly fast, and I am getting soil that will retain water better, and hopefully perk them up. Would it be worth it to repot them in the condition they're in?

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 4:37PM
sarraceniahunter(8b)

I would sit the pots in dishes so that some of the water is retained and give it a go. The worst that could happen is that they go ahead and kick the bucket. A rule that I follow is that as long as there is some green, there is some hope. I have a pitcher plant that I ordered from an online nursery that someone else would have thrown away long ago. I looked today and there is a new shoot emerging. If the temps are as hot there as they are here in East Texas, the plants may have shut down in sort of a summer dormancy. I've planted plants in my bog that whithered away and was given up for dead only to come back the following year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Bogs (The Natural Alternative)

Bookmark   August 17, 2006 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
VFT after some ice and snow
I just wanted to upload this pic of my VFT and pitcher...
purslanegarden
New to this. Did I kill it?
I have had a nephthenes/tropical pitcher for a few...
Deir
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™