Have you ever asked a stranger for cuttings?

alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)February 27, 2008

This occurred to me yesterday as I drove past a garden with a beautiful white flowering quince and a camellia literally smothered with gorgeous pale pink double blossoms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aisgecko(7b Raleigh)

No, but I've been tempted. -Ais.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 7:18PM
ggwrn(7NC)

I haven't, but for the past two years I have driven past a yard that has the most beautiful red hot pokers that bloom in the middle of summer. I have been very tempted to stop and ask for a small division or some seeds.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 8:37PM
lsst(7b)

I almost did but the owners were not home LOL. Last Nov. I saw the most beautiful Confederate rose bush. It was huge and in full bloom. I stopped to ask the owners but no one was home.

I drove by a couple a weeks ago and they had cut it back so I missed the opportunity.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 10:54PM
blueangel(7b)

Yes I have asked and have some wonderful plants and
new garden freinds from doing so.
Gardeners are just wonderful freindly people.

Blueangel

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 7:52AM
rosebush(z7 NC)

Usually I wait until I see someone out in their garden, if I have admired a particular plant, then stop and speak to them. When they find out I'm also a gardener, they usually offer before I can ask! :) Gardeners are very generous people.

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 9:13AM
tamelask(z8a NC)

yes, a few times, and many more i have been tempted, but didn't for one reason or another. when i work up the nerve, it's always a good experience. and i love when someone asks me, and it's happened a few times. when we have workmen in and find out it's their wife's bday or anniversary, i always pick a bouquet for them. why not share- that's how i got a lot of my plants. i wanna spread the love. :)

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 10:45AM
chickenista

Yep.. I sure have. I eye the plant for awhile and when I just can't take it anymore and I see them outside I pull in, introduce myself and ask if they would mind if I had a cutting or if I could help when division time rolls around. I find that a dozen fresh eggs makes it a win/win for both parties.

Bookmark   March 3, 2008 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
A New Year's Resolution
I resolve to co-exist with hairy bittercress. This...
dottie_in_charlotte
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™