green fruit beetles

jenn(SoCal 9/19)September 5, 2012

We have a compost pile, covered with burlap, about 15 feet away from a yellow summer squash tucked between some roses. The squash is growing in a hole that will be occupied by a rose I'll plant this fall. Anyway, I saw a pair of green fruit beetles mating under the leaf of the nearby 'Angel Face' rose, LOL. These beetles are those big (>1") metalic-green beetles that hatch from larvae this time of year. I haven't seen any of the larvae in the pile, but surely they are somewhere nearby.

Anyone with experience know any tried-and-true tips for getting rid of them? Fortunately, I haven't seen them in any other areas of our yard; they seem to be hanging out near the compost pile, which I understand is their pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green fruit beetle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

The grubs make compost for you. Why do you want to get rid of them? I feed them to my chickens. That's a good way to get rid of them.

Renee

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 11:15PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

I want to get rid of the beetles, not the grubs. There aren't many but they are an annoyance when I walk through their "territory" in the back corner. Next time I see a pair mating underneath a leaf of one of our roses, maybe I'll shoot 'em with a strong jet of water from the hose.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 4:33PM
lgteacher(SCal)

They fly quite slowly and are not very good at evading capture, which makes them easy to squish. The grubs, however, are excellent composters.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 11:44PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Yes, they are slow. I set a pot on top of one at the edge of the compost pile... I expected it to fly away when the pot got closer, but it just sat there like a statue.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 12:01PM
islanddevil

So that's what they are! We had a few flying around maybe 10 years ago, never saw them again until this summer.
They scare the crap out of me, flying low, bumping into things. What's up with that? When around they're constantly slamming into the fence, the house, us, circling around dazed. Comical actually, if they didn't also dive bomb us.
Seem to hang out between our house and the one next door and don't know why since neither of us have fruit, veggies or compost.
Are they a seasonal thing?

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 1:43AM
More Discussions
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Where in Southern CA can I buy a bag of Dried Calimyrna figs?
My closest stupid town has one supermarket chain and...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
New House - Need Help!
Hi Everyone, I recently moved into my new home in Orange,...
Phil Arnold
Pride of Madeira PRUNING and question
Hi, Hope you can help. The net and Sunset's Garden...
piper101
Sponsored Products
Arteriors Home - Gita Screen - 4202
Great Furniture Deal
Summer Friends´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Geograph
$255.95 | Bellacor
WallsNeedLove Birds and Beetles Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP15-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Beetle Lake Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$79.99 | zulily
Gigatent Baxter Beetle Play Tent - CT 014
$34.53 | Hayneedle
Beetle Bloom Wall Hook
| Dot & Bo
Arteriors Home - Gita Screen - 4201
Great Furniture Deal
Modern Style Table Lamp with Beetle-like Shiny Black Shade & Lamp