Can calibrachoa be perennial?

alladrmSeptember 3, 2007

My calibrachoa have pretty much stopped blooming - I'm assuming because of the heat. But once it cools off some, will they come back? How about if they don't freeze this winter - will they bloom next spring? Do they ever reseed?

Or maybe I just need to pull them up and replace with what?

I know, it's several questions but I'm hoping someone will educate me in everything I need to know about these lovely flowers in my zone.

Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

Calibrachoa is a tender South American perennial. You could think of it as a tomato plant.

With little stress -- undo summer heat and dryness and extreme winter cold -- it'll peter out much as a true annual.

But with comfortable summers and not-overly-frosty winters, it will continue for more than a year, much as it does in its South American home.

I have friends who've kept Calibrachoas three years. Up until last winter, that is.

Joe

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 5:38PM
wanda(Z9 CA)

I have a peach one and a white one, both in large containers with other plants and they even went right through last winter. This is their 4th year.
They look ugly in winter, but I just prune them back in spring and fertilize them.
My peach one died about a month ago, but I think I may have overwatered it.

If yours has stopped blooming, you might want to give it some fertilizer. I gave mine MaxSea once or twice a month.

wanda

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 12:06AM
alladrm

Thank you Joe and Wanda. I'm going to try to overwinter them. Speaking of which, I have a coleus that survived outside last winter (in spite of three straight days of freezing weather) and this year it's a giant!

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Cassia Leptophylla Leaves All Turned Black
I had four 24" boxed Cassia Leptophylla trees...
SDNativeNovice
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™