Terrarium

ken2256(5b)August 13, 2013

Does anybody know of a CP, other than nepenthes, that is suitable to try in a terrarium for this winter. Almost everything i read talks against doing this for one reason or another.All my pitchers are outdoors along with the others.but i thought it would be fun to have something in the house. that likes terrarium type humidity thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

Tropical Sundews or butterworts. That's about it.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 7:33PM
ken2256(5b)

Yea tommy, I was leaning towards the sundews. I have read of a Hybrid between california and Hawaii drosera is a good terrarium one. thanks

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 7:53PM
ghettogardener(10b)

I am so glad to find this thread. I've been wanting a CP terrarium every since I saw one in my favorite professor's home many years ago. It was an aquarium-open top, of course, with a variety of plants.
I owned a VFT about 10 years ago-I kept it in a pot which I placed in a tray of distilled water. Everyone was happy until I made a dire error repotting.....
This time, I had a fish bowl-exactly like the example that "the terrarium guy" had for his VFT. I followed the instructions except I put a layer of marbles on the bottom for some drainage, and used vermiculite instead of perlite.
I expected to lose a few traps from all the handling, and stress, but this isn't a happy plant. It's turning yellowish, the shell pink traps have faded, and even though I have a number of new leaves and traps coming in, once they get mature they seem to fall down-drooping until laying on the moss.
Would it be a good idea to take it out of the bowl and put it into a pot with bottom watering from a tray underneath? I'm concerned about stressing out the poor thing even more. It's been about 3 weeks since I put it in the terrarium.
On the one hand I don't want the plant to get any worse looking, but on the other hand I don't want to harass the poor thing to death. The fish bowl seemed perfect-offering some humidity, but not too much and allowing flies in as well. Maybe it's not the terrarium but something I did....in any case,should I move it out now or wait a while longer?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Shawna
From the heart of the city

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 8:09PM
tommyr_gw

This is a sore subject for me but I'll try to be calm, VFTs and Sarracenias and temperate Sundews and Butterworts are NOT terrarium plants and belong OUTSIDE. They HAVE to go through a dormancy period every fall/winter for at least 3 months. If your area gets below 35 in fall/winter outdoors then you need to find a place that stays between 35 and 40 for the winter. Mine go in the fridge.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 8:33PM
ken2256(5b)

Hey Shawna, what does your soil mix consist of ?? are you using peat or sand or something else.my flytraps do well with with a mix of canadian peat and coarse sand, even though for me coarse sand is hard to get here, unless you want to sift out the garbage.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Advice on Venus Fly Trap care
Hello everyone, I just recently I bought a venus fly...
fuzzywolf
Dang whitefly infestation on pitcher plants
Hello dearies, I was wondering if anyone had a good...
Hoistthesails
My huge pitcher from propagation (N. ventrata)
Hi I'm new in this forum and I want to show you my...
NepenthesGrower
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™