Found a buckeye, what should I do with it?

ms_minnamouse(7a)November 9, 2010

It's getting pretty cold here and I just found a buckeye nectaring at the few flowers that are left on my Brazilian Vervain. There are really no other flowers around. It's having a pretty hard time flying around what with it being so chilly, even in the sun. I was even able to catch it by hand.

I know they overwinter but read that it's supposed to be done in the South. Maryland isn't considered the south.

Should I build an enclosure for it and keep it indoors (have previous experience with this when I used to breed Monarchs) or should I let it outdoors to probably die?

It's pretty hungry, tried to drink my finger. If I keep it I'll get some Gatorade and soy sauce.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladobe

Your chances of getting it through winter are less than zero to very, very slim at best. Put it out and let nature take its course is my suggestion.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 12:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ms_minnamouse(7a)

I'm not arguing but why do you think I have less than zero chance of getting it through winter? I was able to get Monarchs over winter. I have a 55 gallon aquarium that I can provide humidity and a full spectrum light in.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™