Kyoho grape

Real LIfe Garden SolutionsSeptember 14, 2009

I had an amazing grape from the local Korean grocery yesterday, and from the look and sound of it, it may have been a Kyoho grape. Anyone out there grow this? And anyone is PNW know if it would safely grow here? I was hoping for a PNW forum, but if any of you in the northern state can answer this, I'd love you forever! I live in Vancouver BC, similar weather (bit cooler) to SF area.

Thanks,

Janet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

Kyoto grapes were developed in a part of Japan that latitudinally is parallel to Northern California but with a climate similar to our Atlantic Coast. It's a cross between the Mediterranean grape (Vitis vinifera) and our Eastern fox grape (Vitis lambrusca).

There you are.

Joe

Bookmark   September 14, 2009 at 7:35PM
PRO
Real LIfe Garden Solutions

Joe, "boiseau" in Fruits and Orchards, just suggested I try growing from seed since they're "tetraploid" and should just about reproduce the parent plant. So I've just eaten the rest of the grapes I brought home yesterday, and saved all the seeds. Who knows... Cheaper than looking for the stock/cuttings, and if they fail... it was all a learning experience!

J

Bookmark   September 14, 2009 at 8:21PM
CA Kate

Have you tried googling the name for growers?

Bookmark   September 14, 2009 at 9:41PM
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

J:

Kyoho grapes are interspecific hybrids and do not produce "true" from seed. "Tetraploid" or not.

Your "learning experience" will be a long and expensive one, considering time to first fruit from seed and your labor involved.

Buy bareroot plants this winter.

Joe

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 12:29AM
PRO

Thanks Joe. I'm trying valiantly to find bareroot Kyoho, and now I'm wondering if it's totally the wrong kind of grape for my climate-- as you implied... Still working on it.

J

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 1:55AM
kelpmermaid(10S24)

I know I have purchased them at our local farmer's market; I'll check and see where that grower is located. They are delicious! They are so much like Concords.

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 11:17AM
us95035

Hi Janet,

I have this Kyoho grape grown in my back yard for two years. I lived in Suoth SF bay area (San Jose). If you still interested, let me know.

- Michael

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 3:46PM
PRO

Thanks for the reply Michael. Funny hearing back after three years!

I eventually bought a seedless concord-like grape (name escapes me but begins with C) that Fall (Sept 09) that is making fruits for the first time this year. We've had MISERABLE weather so far (14C and rainy today, but hopes for dry and warm later this week) so whether of not they will produce eating grapes remains to be seen...

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 4:01PM
fruithack

Kyoho was bred from Campbells Early in Japan. I had 7 of them, but production was so sporadic, and I had so many far superior Labrusca grapes that I ripped them out. Jupiter, Venus, Glenora (all seedless), Steuben, and Price have been superior to Kyoho in every way in my vineyard. Bay Laurel Nursery ships Kyoho. Rollingriver Nursery and Raintree Nursery ship the others. Maybe you have Canadice, Janet, which is a decent tough little grape, whose tight clusters might be somewhat problematic in the humid PNW.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 2:28PM
Kyopolover

I have also been looking for a kyopo grape plant for some time.

Michael - I also live in San Jose, is it possible for me to get a piece of the plant from you? I would really like to see if I can grow it in my backyard.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:31PM
Rarf(9)

Michael, I'm in Sunnyvale, I would also love to get a shoot from you if possible. Thanks.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 6:47PM
JasonNCG(6a)

If anyone managed to get a Kyoho grape vine, I would love a couple of cuttings. I tasted them at a farm tour in Ontario, but couldn't bring cuttings across the border.

Jason

Bookmark   January 31, 2015 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™