milkweed management in Florida

marcia_m(5 and 9)November 4, 2010

I'm a 'snowbird' and we have arrived at our winter home in Florida. I have milkweed growing, Asclepias curassavica 'Silky Gold' and the regular orange A. curassavica. The caterpillars have enjoyed the plants, they're still munching, and I have two cocoons on the outside of my window frame.

My question is about plant management. Should I cut back the milkweed stalks that have no leaves? Or will they re-leaf? I don't have any seeds forming but I have a few leftovers from my last year's PA garden that I plan to start so there are more leaves for them next season.

Thanks for suggestions.

Marcia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

I wouldn't cut the stalks back Marcia. Mine re-leafs. You are saying that you have Monarch chrysalides on the window frame? They'd be safer inside a container, but I don't know if you are interested in doing the cat raising thing. The butterfly eggs, caterpillars,and chrysalides are eaten by many creatures in the wild.

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 7:58AM
marcia_m(5 and 9)

Thanks for the advice. I won't prune the plants; I don't mind the bare sticks. I saw some young milkweed plants at Lowe's and I'll buy a few to plant until I get a chance to grow seeds.

I would rather not be responsible for raising the guys inside. I'll check on the chrysalides. I could bring them into our lanai to protect them until they emerge. I'll read up on that.
Marcia

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 9:45AM
marcia_m(5 and 9)

Here are some of the cats that are doing the job on the milkweed. Yes, I have some leaves re-growing. One of the butterflies emerged from its chrysalis (outside) and a new chrysalis took its place. I didn't get to see the emergence.
Marcia

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
A romantic moment
Lots of activity in my garden. We released 7 male Monarchs...
jane__ny
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™