Propagating Harry Lauder Walking Stick

MagickMareMarch 11, 2008

I recently purchased two Harry Lauder Walking Sticks on their own roots. I couldn't be happier with them! I've read that they are very difficult to propagate. So when my Great Dane decided to prune one of the main branches of one plant, I freaked! I couldn't bear to throw the branch out, so I put it in water with some branches of Weeping Willow that I was rooting. I've noticed that the HLWS branch has developed tiny roots! Has anyone propagated this? Any suggestions on care at this point? I'd LOVE to offer the rooting branch at the swap... IF I can get it further along by swap time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

I'm glad you posted this since I have a huge HLWS at my other house and wanted to move it but didn't. I can't reproduce the growing conditions it favored and moving one that big would probably kill it.
I do have a curly willow over there also and could try rooting the both. I read that adding willow to a vase will help other slips start the rooting process.

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 12:00PM
MagickMare

Well I have never had luck rooting anything, so I am thrilled! Good luck & I hope yours roots as well. Just don't change the water once rooting starts.

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 3:18PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

I'll report back hopefully with success. Guess I have to get the willow rooting first to get that natural plant hormone in the water. Right? Then add the HLWS?

Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 5:53AM
MagickMare

That's the way I did it - accidentally :)

Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
Errosion on active creek
I need help saving the large trees on the banks of...
kellyinnc
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
anyone grow Pseudosasa japonica?
Does anyone on this forum have Pseudosasa japonica?...
cousinfloyd
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™